Tuesday, July 12, 2011

YES OR NO?

"Simply let your 'Yes' be 'Yes', and your 'No', 'No'; anything beyond this comes from the evil one" Matthew 5:37

Is it just me, or, does this simple verse seem a lot harder than it should be? I seem to be a lot better at the 'yeses' than I am at the 'nos'. That is for sure, even though I know I'm better than I used to be. OK, I admit it; I have invented this whole complex category of 'maybe' to really complicate the simple. Throw into that mix of confusion the famous, 'probably yes', and notorious, 'probably no', and you can cause yourself and others even more trouble and heartache. Can somebody give us a 'definite maybe' about now? No wonder we have such a hard time saying and hearing yes and no. We don't practice what the Lord preaches.

This Sermon on the Mount verse is preceded by warnings about oaths and promises. Not easy to make any commitments without a yes. Kinda, sorta, tough in a way, to a degree, as best I can, hopefully, if possible, we'll see, somehow, perhaps, if the fates allow, and if the creeks don't rise, that at least the 'himmin' and 'hawin' might slow down a bit. LOL!! Forgive me God for how easy it was to come up with that piece of nonsense and how difficult I make it to say 'NO'. I am sometimes such a Welcome Mat that I forget they also get used as a Doormat. How about you?

One of the best ways to become the truth-telling, responsible, free, and loving people God wants us to be is to find our 'Yes' and our 'No', and mean it! Anything beyond this is definitely the evil one's perfect opportunity to mess with us and every situation and relationship.

I am now going to set a better example for you. You with me? Yes or No?

With His Love and Mine,
Pastor Fred

1 comment:

  1. I am definitely with you, YES! I loved this and how true it is. Thank you, Pastor!

    ReplyDelete