Friday, February 3, 2012

Submit for the Lord’s sake

Our Friday Devotion comes to us from Council Member, Alan Severin:

"Submit yourselves for the Lord’s sake to every human authority: whether to the emperor, as the supreme authority, or to governors, who are sent by him to punish those who do wrong and to commend those who do right." 1 Peter 2:13-14

Let me give you a very short version of a much longer story about myself and the terrible boss I suffered under for over 6 years.

First off, I did everything in my power to get out from under him, applying for any decent job that opened up, but refusing to quit the company I loved because somehow that might seem like a victory for him. Needless to say every path was blocked and never seemed to work out. On some days I might even go so far as to say it was due to undermining from my less than favorable boss. One time I actually got to work for a new boss for a whole month only to be pulled back under the original one. It felt like Al Pacino in Godfather III.

Afterwards, I decided this was where I was supposed to be and it must be God's Will to do something there. I wish I could say things got better after submitting myself to God's Will, but it remained the same for several years; only now I focused on Colossians 3:23 when things didn't go well.

Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men.

Last year, my time finally came and I now work for a different boss, in a different department and haven't been happier at work in a long time. The reason that I'm thinking about this today is because today I found out all those jobs I had applied for over such a long period of time don't exist anymore.

If I had been lucky enough to have gotten what I so dearly desired at the time, I'd be looking for work. Instead I feel very humble and blessed that God still wants me here, for what is still a mystery, but I know He sent a complete jerk to position me where I am today; just as He knew this stubborn Marine wouldn't quit on Him. And if my time comes tomorrow, I'll know I'm needed elsewhere.

Submitting to His Authority,
Alan

1 comment:

  1. Alan, I just had a completely "ask and you shall receive" moment with God, through your devotional. In a most profound whining (is whining ever actually profound?) session with Him regarding some of my own circumstances of the times, I asked Him a question and within seconds I came across the GH blog's devotional for the day. Though I'm still searching for His insight into the answer He gave me, I at least know with solid conviction that He has answered. Thanks for sharing your experience, the message behind it has truly helped this little daughter of God. :)

    P.S. Happy to hear He has led you through the struggle and into victory. I pray that He fills me with the same stubborn marine determination not to quit on Him when it's oh so hard not to want to. Thank You, Jesus, that Your messages of hope and encouragement to press on always come in at just the right time.

    ReplyDelete