Monday, February 6, 2012

Why I Love

"We love Him because He first loved us." I John 4:19

This was the scriptural sentiment printed on the inside cover of the most recent birthday card I received from everybody's, Grandma Shirley. Of course, she is more of a Mom to me than a Grandma, and only my own Mom used the word love as many times in the card she sent me this year. My Mom and Grandma Shirley have a few things in common, not the least of which is that they both really love me very much. I believe this, know this and feel this.
I recognize sincere love because it is so similar to the love that Jesus loves me with. Of course the love of Jesus is the ultimate and truest love. Even though this is so, I can honestly say that my Mom and Grandma Shirley both love, with a precious love.

As the verse says, I love Jesus because He first loved me. My love for Him is a response to His love for me. Were it not for Him, I would not understand how to love. OK, I will take it this step further. No kind of love that does not emanate from God is really love… because God is love. The love that these two wonderful women have for me is because of the love that Jesus has for them. They, in essence love me with His love. That is the love that I have for them, also. As a matter of fact, that is the same love that I love everyone with. Not only do I love Jesus because He first loved me, any real and true love I have is because He first loved me. When I am loved by those who love Him back, it reinforces my acceptance of His love for me.

Grandma Shirley wrote me the following note in her birthday card to me. 'Dearest Pastor, May the love and joy you share with others return and bless you many times over. Happy Birthday with much love and deep appreciation. God bless you "real good". Grandma Shirley PS Thank you for your sweet, tender love and care for all who need you."

I got a boatload of love from a bunch of people this year for my birthday. Made me feel loved even more. I so desire to reciprocate that love because of the tremendous love that God loved me with first. Loving feels really good, and so does being loved. I know that my Mom, Grandma Shirley and I have the love of Jesus in common. Not only have we received it and love Him back with it, we also love others with that same love. I'm sure that we would all agree that when you truly know His love you can love others.

With His love and ours,
Pastor Fred <3 <3 <3

No comments:

Post a Comment