Friday, February 10, 2012

Truth and Death

"I tell you the truth, if anyone keeps My Word, he will never see death" John 8:51

There is absolutely nobody better than Jesus at telling the truth. After all, He is The Way, The Truth and The Life, right? Right!!!

The Jewish leaders of the day balked at this brash statement though, insinuating that He was evil, and of the devil. They asked Him what gave Him the right to say such a thing. How could He guarantee eternal life? Upon His Resurrection He gave irrefutable evidence that He alone conquered death and that He alone could fulfill the promise of life everlasting. Of course naysayers will claim that He did not resurrect or ascend, even though the facts indicate differently, substantiated by hundreds of witnesses, many sources outside Scripture and countless millions of believers ever since.

There is one very important piece of this truth that must be pointed out, though. Yes, Jesus conquered death, yes; He arose and ascended just as He said He would do. But, only for those who keep His Word. What Jesus is saying here for you, and me, and everybody who would choose to believe is, that there is a necessity for us to claim His promise and provision through salvation. In order for us to live forever, we must be born again.

John, the gospel writer makes this clear in the 3rd chapter in his encounter with Nicodemus. It is illuminating to read the verses before and after John 3:16 so we understand how to acquire God's free gift of salvation. Because, I believe in Christ Jesus as the perfect, sinless, and substitutionary sacrifice for my sin. I can claim the benefits of salvation. That is what is meant by the phrase 'keep My Word'.

Put His Word in your heart today, keep it as a reminder of all His promises. I know I am going to live forever, how about you? That is the truth, the Bible tells me so.

In His Word with you,
Pastor Fred

No comments:

Post a Comment