Monday, February 23, 2015

"Love, See, Keep, Turn, Do, Seek, Pursue"

For, "Whoever would love life and see good days must keep his tongue from evil and his lips from deceitful speech. He must turn from evil and do good; he must seek peace and pursue it. 1 Peter 3:10-11

Sometimes it is convicting to focus on the verbs in a passage.

In 1 Peter 3:10-11 Peter is directly quoting Psalm 34. Both Peter and the Psalmist use some very simple verbs to suggest action as our response. Let me put the verbs in short phrases and respond. Hope this helps you take it in, it did me.

a. “Love life” – too often we don’t.
b. “See good days” – mostly in retrospect.
c. “Keep his tongue” – keep it from wagging.
d. “Turn from evil” – do a 180 degree turn.
e. “Do good” – walk the talk more.
f. “Seek peace” – look for it.
g. “Pursue peace” – don’t give up.

This illustrates for me a much more positive perspective than I usually have. I think I need to elevate my general outlook. To look up more. To hope more. To trust Him more. I need to be positive instead of worrying about staying positive. More love, clearer see, keep keeping, turn sooner, do more, seek harder, pursue faster. Very convicting. I reminisce far more about good days than I focus on making them today.

With actions,
Pastor Fred

No comments:

Post a Comment