Tuesday, February 3, 2015

"Silencing Fools"

"For it is God's will that by doing good you should silence the ignorant talk of foolish men." 1 Peter 2:15

From time to time I just want to scream at the world to "shut up". Stop all the nonsense, quit with all the head games, be still for just a moment, take a deep breath and hear something different for a change. Could we just get a moment of peace and quiet so that we could hear God? Oh, He is still there in all the noise and distraction and constant barrage of stuff that is hurled at us from all quarters, for who knows what purposes. I only know this, all of it does not make much difference, and we are missing the most important thing, way too often. Have you heard plenty ignorant talk? Have you had your fill of foolishness? I have.

So, God says that it is His will that the weapon we have is 'doing good'. Oh great, let the parade of 'do-gooders' begin. Is it just me or do others doubt sometimes that we are having that much of an impact on the world that is churning around us? Wait a minute! What am I saying? I see hope in the kindness of believers. I see witness in the compassion of the family of God. I know from personal experience that the most powerful thing we can do is love, show grace and mercy, and forgiveness. After all it is what the world lacks and needs so desperately. It is inarguable. We do actually have the weapon that can disarm the world. It is the Good News. Do not give up on “doing good”. Do not give in to the temptation to cave in to the pressures of overreacting to ignorance and foolishness.

God wants us to “do good”. So we should. Lots of it. Every time. All the time. Love, love, love, love is the answer. Kindness is the key. Hope is the antidote. We should begin by “doing good” to each other, then reach out to whoever we can. If the plane will crash and we have parachutes, shouldn't we begin to hand them out? I experience quiet when I serve Him. My resolve is strengthened when I “do good”.

Well, I feel better already, how about you? Join me today in” doing good” and let God do the silencing. He is way better at it. He actually will help me “do good” if I just let Him. May His grace abound in you today.

Doing good with you,
Pastor Fred

No comments:

Post a Comment