Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Do Good, O Lord

Psalm 125:4 "Do good, O Lord, to those who are good, to those who are upright in heart."

Now you and I know that no one is good. The Bible makes that clear. We are all too familiar with the fact that we, are saved by grace, live in a fallen world and struggle with our old sin nature. But, God is good. He is perfectly good. His goodness is part of His character and there is nothing but good in Him. Note what the Psalmist says after he requests God to do good ‘to those who are good.’ He adds, 'to those who are upright in heart'. Thanks be to God that He judges the heart. On that basis then, I ask God to do good to you, if you have an upright heart.

All of us fall short, but you know if your heart is right. I can always tell if my heart is right because when it is, my conscience is definitely plugged in. Therefore when I falter, I know right away that I am out of line. Whether in word or deed, when I am right with God, that subtle reminder of conviction that I cannot escape is there. This is a good thing. Otherwise I could miss the good that God is doing to me and the blessings that go with it.

My heartfelt desire for each of you is that God would do good to you, that He would bless your hearts. Right now I am thinking of many of you and how I hope that today, whether at work, or at home or at school or just out and about, God is doing good to you. We have so much to be grateful for and glad about. He has done so much good for us already and He wants to do more. We should focus on the upright part. Not that we think His blessings are a direct derivative of some kind of score that He is keeping to reward us with His goodness, He will do good to whom He chooses. We should be upright because that is right. The Psalmist is asking that God do good to those who are upright. Understandably.

I pray that the goodness of God overwhelms all of you who read this today. As soon as you read these words I hope you sense His goodness is poured out on you. Receive it, enjoy it, celebrate it and talk about it. We need His blessings and want His goodness. Make sure to be grateful for what He has already done and let’s expect even more of His goodness to be poured out on us soon. I am touched by His goodness and His love today. I hope you are too.

In Him, Pastor Fred

No comments:

Post a Comment