Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Help is Already Here

Psalm 121:1-2 "I lift up my eyes to the hills-- where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord, the Maker of heaven and earth."

Psalms 120-134 are as a group called the Pilgrim Psalms. So called because they are written as the writers are on the move, journeying to the feasts and to the temple. They were originally sung to inspire everyone as they walked long distances. In Psalm 121 you can almost see in verses 1-2 (maybe written by Hezekiah) his commitment unfolding as he keeps his eyes on his destination though questioning if he has the strength or commitment to get there. We all have these questions on our journeys. Will things ever work out? Will people change? Is there a brighter future? How did we get where we are? Can I trust the Lord to get me there? Are we there yet? All pertinent questions.

Let's slow down the words and get our questions answered. First three words 'I lift up' have hope in them already. Up has got to be the right direction, it has got to be the right person and lift is the action that can help anybody with whatever their burden of doubt might be. Second three words 'to the hills'. The hills were in front of them, the direction they were headed and needed to go. We can't focus on the past, besides nature is always a good place to look to for inspiration.

Next is an honest question. We should ask this type of question more often. Heartfelt types of questions are.... God, are you there? Lord, what does this mean? Father, what should I do? Then, of course, Jesus, will you help me? God wants to hear our pleas and honest questions. As soon as Hezekiah addresses God as a man, looking in the right way, the right direction with honesty, his answer comes. Follow the steps, you will get answers too.

The title of this devotional is "Help is Already Here". Indeed it is. We should always state the obvious answer out loud to confirm it just like Hezekiah. 'My help comes from the Lord', he says. Of course it does. He already knew that. Just like we do. We must go through the steps of faith to experience it. Perhaps as simple as stop, look and listen. Our help is the best kind of help too. The Maker of heaven and earth, the Lord is our help. He who is all-powerful and all-loving and all-knowing. Nice combination of traits huh? I know God can help me. I know He is there. I look up to the hills and I can see Him. Help is not just on the way, it is already here. Just ask. Be encouraged today.

I am in Him, Pastor Fred

No comments:

Post a Comment