Thursday, October 21, 2010

I’m not done yet, Thank you.

Psalm 129:1-2 They have greatly oppressed me from my youth-- let Israel say-- they have greatly oppressed me from my youth, but they have not gained the victory over me.

I love these words. From the earliest days of Israel, they have been persecuted. Perhaps, accumulatively, more than any other 'people group' ever. God's people living in a broken world have never gone very long without being hated. When representing God in any capacity, it doesn't take too long for the world to turn on you, whether you are Israelites or believers or the church or even as an individual follower of God. If you want to be consistently well-liked or popular or criticism-free or have an easy path, don't pick following God as your primary purpose. Christians beware, all the hatred that has ever been felt towards Jews is now shared by us.

I remember from my youth how not too long after I became a believer I began to feel the 'separation' from others. At first it was just casual, but the more fervent and dedicated I became, the bigger the rift grew. Soon it was not just avoidance, it started with teasing and eventually over the years the derogatory comments and ridicule turned into persecution. If you are not experiencing any rejection as a Christian, try sharing your faith more or stating your moral standards, or letting those around you know what the Bible says about controversial subjects.

As I venture into my sixties, one of the blessings of aging is a sense of resolve that emanates from the core of my being, directly connected to my core beliefs. Without risking becoming an 'old fart' too soon, I find myself standing my ground with increasing strength and fortitude. I may have been pushed around, mocked, avoided, categorized, minimized and ignored, but 'they' have not gained the victory over me. This old world may be going to hell in a hand basket, but I'm not and neither are as many people as I can tell about the good news either.

As the title of this devotional says.....'I'm not done yet, thank you'. And I'm not. I still have life and fight and will and vision and dreams and hopes and with God's help whatever purposes I will submit to Him accomplishing through me. I'm always ready to go another round, or another mile. Come on everybody let's get up and fight. Fight for what is right and while we are doing it, with love and mercy and grace, have a blessed time too. Makes no difference how old you are. I have sung this battle song many times throughout my life and I am humming the chorus all the time again.

It is too easy to cave in and call it a day. Too simple to just give up and fall in line with the status quo. The same deep convictions that provoked me to evangelism as a new believer and to civil rights as a young man and to youth ministry and the pastorate still resonate in my soul. We have a cause and that cause is the sharing of Christ as Savior with a needy, needy world. But, we must be tougher and more determined to speak up, stand up and get up every day to be part of the solution and not part of the problem. Do you agree? Are you with me? Grace Harbor Church has a vision and mission and 'they' have not gained the victory over us. Not yet, NO.... not ever. He is victorious. He is the victor. We are victorious with Him as we fulfill His will. The next time I take one in the head or heart or wherever, I am going to say....'bring it on'... I'm not done yet, thank you. Are you? I sure hope not. Let us all resolve to recommit ourselves to total commitment and to victory in Him. I read the end of the Book again recently and we do win you know. So let us keep the faith and the fire burning.

Victorious in Him, Pastor Fred

No comments:

Post a Comment