Friday, October 29, 2010

The Importance of Unity

Psalm 133 "How good and pleasant it is when brothers live together in unity! It is like precious oil poured on the head, running down on the beard, running down on Aaron's beard, down upon the collar of his robes. It is as if the dew of Hermon were falling on Mount Zion. For there the Lord bestows his blessing, even life forevermore."

For me, this is one of the most meaningful and picturesque passages of scripture in the Bible. When I was in my early twenties, I was asked to memorize a Psalm, pressed for time and beginning to panic I picked one of the shortest ones I could find and because I quoted it over and over and over again, it sank in. I mean I really got it. Psalm 133 became part of my understanding of God. Let me share with you the 5 lessons that this Psalm has taught me.

#1 Unity is of paramount importance. Brothers in unity are one of the most powerful illustrations and examples of God at work ever. We sensed it at our recent retreat and I sense it often among the brothers at Grace Harbor. Maybe only one thing more powerful than brothers in unity..... sisters in unity. Look at the destructive force disunity can be, and then it is easy to see how marvelous unity can be.

#2 There is a God-glorifying abundance that needs to be invoked from time to time. When Mary Magdalene broke the expensive jar of oil on Jesus feet and washed his feet with her hair, it was not inappropriate, because of the sincerity and Christ-glorifying moment. Similarly, when so much oil was poured on Aaron's head that it ran all the way down his beard and even on to his collar it illustrated the importance of the preciousness of the worship. Excess is seldom in order, but from time to time we need to know when to sacrifice our best to show the supremacy of who He is to us.

#3 The priesthood, or pastorate or any ministry leader should always be humble enough to be used by Christ for illustration. Oh how many times I have needed to just be gracious in those moments and to get out of the way and let Jesus be exalted through me in spite of myself. I know Aaron knew what that meant. Every leader should learn this crucial lesson of the attitude of servitude.

#4 Sometimes things happen where they don't seem like they should and that truly glorifies God. Mount Hermon is lush and Mount Zion is not. See the comparison? Aaron doesn't deserve that oil, neither do I, neither do you, but it is like something really wet pouring out on something really dry. Miraculous. A beautiful simile followed by a beautiful metaphor.

#5 God has a way of making the simplest things the most profound. This Psalm in effect, saved my bacon when I was put on the spot to deliver something from memory. Almost completely extemporaneously God gave me these lessons early in my life which are part of the cavalcade of gems and jewels that the Spirit has revealed to my spirit to shape who I am.

I hope these pictures touch your heart and help you to hunger for the depth of the meaning of God's Word. No doubt just sharing this with you reminds me of how amazing God is in how He can make His Word come alive and teach us both mysteries and truths. Every passage of the Word is rich with nutritious ingredients that our hearts are starving for every day. Read, meditate, study, search, pray and listen to God's Spirit unfold the truth to you. It doesn't have to be the same as what I've learned. This Psalm has grown in practicality and application for me over the years.

Grow with me, Pastor Fred

No comments:

Post a Comment