Monday, October 18, 2010

God Must Be the Foundation

Psalm 127:1 "Unless the Lord builds the house, its builders labor in vain."

When God builds something, then you really have something. He really knows how to establish a strong foundation and to how to build something that will last. All of life's work-- the building of a home, preparing a career, raising a family and of course the founding of a ministry must be done through Him and by Him. It is destined to be fruitless and vain, unless the Lord is for it, behind it, in it and sustaining it. This is a principle that God himself has ordained.

Solomon is the writer of Psalm 127 and with the mention of something being done in vain, it should be no surprise. Solomon is the writer of almost all of Proverbs and Ecclesiastes and The Song of Solomon. All of these works chronicle the efforts of man in conjunction with the plan of God. When we do things within the Purpose of God, they just seem to go better. So many of our self-willed pursuits are done for misguided reasons or for shallow purposes and God wants us to include Him from the foundation up in everything. If we did so, we might not pursue some things at all.

When I let the Lord lead, and Him build, and Him design, plan and enact, the results are always so much better. That is true in my family and in my career, in every project I undertake and each thing I do. For myself I try to utilize three simple tools that help me keep my life in His will. The more I use them the more they work.

#1 Plan Check..... Best done before you break ground, make commitments and get started.

#2 Objective Analysis.... Always good to try to see everything from His perspective.

#3 Ego Barometer.... Very necessary to make sure that I don't take over mid-project.

I'm not perfect at this but it does keep me out of trouble and moving forward as best is possible. After all, if God is not at the center of it, whatever it is, it is more likely maybe even most likely to fail.

Within His Grace, Pastor Fred

No comments:

Post a Comment