Friday, August 22, 2014

Blessings in Disguise

I must say that when I was reading the following devotional as part of our morning routine, I had to read one sentence over again suggesting to us that we should "try to view difficulties as blessings in disguise". My first response was I must have not read it correctly because difficulties are just that - difficult and seemingly not at all a blessing. But, as with everything, one must read in context, and after doing that, it made perfect sense the point that the author (Sarah Young - who else because you know I love her writings) was attempting to get across. This struck such a chord in me because I can think of at least ten loved ones very close to our family who are facing incredible life struggles at this time in their lives.

The August 15th devotional of "Jesus Calling", in a nutshell, reminds us that God is God "all the time" and we need to keep this in mind no matter what we are facing. We profess to know that God is with us always, so the author cautions us not to be distracted by difficulties or adversities that we all are sure to face. Instead of responding to those situations in a negative way, we are encouraged to view them as opportunities to be comforted by the knowledge that God is present with us through those times "if" we would only open up and talk to Him about those struggles, difficulties, and adversities we are experiencing. It's not as if God doesn't know what we're going through anyway, but He wants us to rest in the assurance that we can bring everything to Him. So, rather than think somehow that we must be doing something wrong in these times, we should feel blessed to use it as our time to invite God into the mix. By so doing, we are blessed just because we are in God's presence, where it is His utmost desire that we remain, through all the minutes and hours of the day, trusting in Him. God's grace should be sufficient for us, as His power is made perfect in our weaknesses. 2Cor. 12:7-9. Otherwise, without the difficulties and challenges we experience, and our lives go along smoothly and problem-free every day, we might become conceited (not us, huh?) thinking that we are accomplishing everything without God's help (and grace).

How do I know? His Word says so, as shared by the author: "Evening, morning, and noon, I cry out in distress, and He hears my voice." Psalm 55:17; "Therefore, let everyone who is godly pray to you while you may be found; surely when the mighty waters rise, they will not reach Him." Psalm 32:6; "Trust in Him at all times, O people; pour out your hearts to Him, for God is our refuge." Psalm 62:8 One not shared by the author, but one of my favorites: "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. Matt. 11:28-29

I was further convinced that this was the message God wanted me to share with you because on my way home this afternoon, the Casting Crowns song, "I Will Praise You in the Storm" was playing on the radio and it so ministered to my heart. So, I'll end my devotional with the ending lyrics of that Praise and Worship song, hoping that that they will minister to you as well: "…I lift my eyes unto the hill. Where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord - The Maker of Heaven and Earth." Amen.

Wishing all of you a very blessed weekend. As always, if you do not have a Church home, Grace Harbor Church invites and welcomes you to join us at 10:00 a.m. Sunday mornings for worship, praise, and fellowship with fellow Brothers and Sisters In Christ.

In His Love,
Charlotte

No comments:

Post a Comment