Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Proverbs Addressed to the Poor (Part 1)


Before I share with you the 5 devotionals entitled the, “Proverbs Addressed to the Poor”, I must remind us that we are not as poor as we may think we are.  Poor could be said to mean those who do not have adequate food, shelter, water, or clothing.  Then you have to carefully define “adequate”.  Some folks believe they are poor because they are not “independently wealthy”.  Some define poverty as living below the government standard for the “poverty line”.  Some equate poverty with not having “enough”.  Some folks can’t get enough.  Some people associate happiness, success or meaningfulness with the level of income, or access to certain services.  Poverty may mean to you that you have to spend all of your resources on basic needs.  Some believe basic needs include an entertainment and “eating out” fund.  Does poverty mean less than middle-classed?  Poverty may mean not being independent, or being dependent on others.  We have seldom gone hungry for days or been orphaned or been refugees, or sold into slavery, or a victim of human trafficking.  Many people have much less than others and don’t consider themselves poor.  Regardless, we should all be compassionate, sensitive, generous and helpful without judging situations.
My family has know pretty “lean times”, but never considered ourselves poor.  I have rescued food from dumpsters, lived in my car, lived with friends and family for weeks, and not been able to pay my bills.  I have not needed government assistance, but understand there are those who do, who could not make it.  I have been unemployed but not received unemployment, but understand there are those who do.  I have held small yard sales to pay my utility bills.  My wife and I have “recycled” for extra money and have eaten our share of “Ramen”, “Mac & Cheese”, and “PB&J sandwiches.”  I have never been out of work for more than 3 weeks, but have had serious financial problems and recently become “debt free” for the third time.  I don’t own any property, or stocks, or bonds, or have any assets to speak of.  Yet, I have known distress and have seen real poverty close to me.  We have much to learn about being poor, caring for the poor, and being compassionate and wise about the poor.  
Having said that, I intend to read these Proverbs about the poor with fresh eyes, and an open heart.

1.  Grace is given the lowly.  (Proverbs 3:34)
2.  Being generous does not make one poor.  (Proverbs 10:4)
3.  Poverty destroys the poor.  (Proverbs 10:15)
4.  Keep a good conscience.  (Proverbs 10:15)
5.  Live in faith.  (Proverbs 10:15)
These humble me, convict me, and give me fresh perspective.  I have seen graciousness in the poor.  I have seen the poor be generous.  I have seen the destruction of the poor.  I know there are those whose consciences are weak, numb, or non-existent.  I have seen and heard the faith of the poor.  Don’t think you “get it” completely about the poor.  I don’t.  But I now the Word of God can make us wiser about poverty, certainly more than “the press”, “the internet”, our own thinking, or the opinions of others.  
God cares deeply for the poor.  Tread carefully with me as we spend some time in these Proverbs.

In His Service,
Pastor Fred

No comments:

Post a Comment