Friday, August 8, 2014

Proverbs About the Poor (Part 3)

Being poor by anyone’s definition, brings with it a list of other attached issues.  Living week to week or day to day with loads of unknowns and insecurities can bring other problems to light, or at least to the forefront.  Poverty is sometimes an escape from abuse, or control, or stress.  I must admit at the height of my own frustration with people, processes, pettiness, and pressure, I can have some longing for the good old days; living in my van, scrimping to get by, living simple and well within m means.  I have offered the possibility to my wife and frankly it becomes way more tempting recently, and more often.  

These five Proverbs remind me what I have believed for years and years.  Pack light and be ready to go.  When you live simpler, become debt free, and minimize your obligations it allows you to consider what God might have in mind, if you were really open to it.  If you were free, what would God recommend?  Is poverty what you fear?  Are your things like anchors?  What do these 5 Proverbs open you up to consider?  Talk to God about it, I am.

1.  Little with love is better than a feast with hatred.  (Proverbs 15:17)
2.  Do not mock the poor.  (Proverbs 17:5)
3.  Do not offend a poor brother, reconciliation is difficult.  (Proverbs 18:19)
4.  Pray and be thankful.  (Proverbs 18:23
5.  A poor man is kept apart by his neighbors.  (Proverbs 19:4)

We resist change, we don’t like to have the status quo challenged.  
Trust God alone.  Let Him lead.  Follow, it is less frightening than fear itself.

Food for thought in Him,

Pastor Fred

No comments:

Post a Comment