Monday, August 25, 2014

Proverbs for the Lazy (Part 1)

Now for four devotionals for the lazy who most likely will never read them. The truly slothful, as the bible refers to them, are habitually so. There are a few character traits that I find particularly annoying and do not cope with very well. Laziness is one of them. O.K. I will tell you the others. Meanness is definitely one, divisiveness is another. I actually have far more compassion and tolerance for the lazy than I do the mean or divisive. Let me go ahead and be totally transparent and admit that those who are control freaks top my list. Now I have said it and I feel more honest. As I consider how much hurt and trouble the mean people, divisive (or troublemakers) and control freaks cause, I am feeling even more compassion for the lazy. Probably a good time to write these devotionals and share the proverbs about slothfulness. Just a few at a time. Wouldn’t want to wear out the lazy ones who might be reading them in a spurt of productivity.

  • He would be wise to work in the summer and have a harvest like the ant. (Proverbs 6:6-11)
  • The deep sleep of the slothful will lead to hunger. (Proverbs 19:15)
  • Do not sleep in harvest. (Proverbs 10:5)
  • The slothful have to pay tribute while the diligent rule. (Proverbs 12:2)
  • The slothful wastes what he gets in hunting. (Proverbs 12:27)
  • He would be wise to work in the summer and have a harvest like the ant. (Proverbs 6:6-11)
  • The deep sleep of the slothful will lead to hunger. (Proverbs 19:15)
  • Do not sleep in harvest. (Proverbs 10:5)
  • The slothful have to pay tribute while the diligent rule. (Proverbs 12:2)
  • The slothful wastes what he gets in hunting. (Proverbs 12:27)

I could say much but instead I will quote my dad who taught me not to be lazy. Here are five quotes from him that came to mind today. Sure miss him.

  • "To choose not to do your schoolwork is to choose summer school."(I never went to summer school.)
  • "Work when the working is good."
  • "If you sleep past breakfast, you miss breakfast."
  • "Hard work is its own reward."
  • "Remember to save some fish for bait."

Some of it is so simple, but so are fools. Laziness and foolishness are partners in ineffectiveness and inefficiency. Enough said today. Thanks again Dad. Pastor Fred.

No comments:

Post a Comment