Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Proverbs for the Lazy (Part 3)

Excuses, excuses, excuses. I have used them myself, and have heard thousands of them. Usually referred to as reasons and explanations, they are still just excuses. Is there an excuse for everything? Sure seems like it. We have lowered expectations of our responsibility and raised expectations of our entitlements. How’s that working?

  • He cannot work when it is cold and will beg at harvest. (Proverbs 20:4)
  • He desires but won’t work. (Proverbs 21:25)
  • He covets. (Proverbs 21:26)
  • He who loves sleeping may become poor. (Proverbs 20:13)
  • He is afraid to go into the street so cannot go to work. (Proverbs 22:13)

Why can’t we admit we are wrong? Human beings have a propensity for excuse-making. Perhaps it is pride. Maybe it is that we are so unforgiving we fear to admit responsibility. Have we set the standard for success so high that we can’t learn from our mistakes? How can we be lazy and covet? We idolize those who work the least and still succeed. Something is terribly wrong with both the systems of this world and the human heart. We leap to judgment and jump to conclusions constantly. We are wrong often and can’t seem to think objectively. I know I need to deal with my own faults and try to help others deal with theirs. I am so sorry for how I have messed up in my life and that I have hurt or disappointed anyone. Let us all rally around each other for some honesty, grace, forgiveness and fresh effort. No excuses about our excuses.

Prayerfully,
Pastor Fred

No comments:

Post a Comment