Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Holy, Holy, Holy

"Your ways, O God, are holy. What god is so great as our God?”" Psalm 77:13

I picture that in heaven the word Holy will be a lot more comfortable to use. After all, in His divine presence, the song for eternity of all in heaven will be “Holy, Holy, Holy Is The Lamb”.

Holiness is a difficult concept to grasp because, sometimes in this world, we feel so far away from it. Yet, God in His Word encourages us to pursue holiness. We must pursue it because it won't come to us. Somehow, at the pace we go and the distractions we face, holiness seems almost impossible to experience. I can consider His holiness, but somehow mine most often truly eludes me.

Of all the traits and attributes of God, His holiness is the most inapproachable. My only hope to ever understand it at all is in Christ Jesus. What Jesus accomplished on the cross not only provided grace and forgiveness, but an opportunity to experience His holiness. I think we can only be holy when we reflect His holiness. We can reflect Him only when we empty ourselves. Except for Him, there is nothing holy at all about us.

The major reason this seems so unattainable is because of our own brokenness and a lack of spiritual discipline. Let me suggest four practices that can help to get in touch with His holiness.

Confession...it is not only good for the soul, but it beckons God's faithfulness and justness. When we are contrite, we assume the position of willingness to see Him for who He is because we are being who we really are.

Silence...which is so challenging to find. Even as I am quietly writing this, I am aware of the sound of the computer, a distant traffic noise, even the white noise that is always in the background. Even if we are quiet, and this is challenge enough, there are so many sounds that distract. Even after we are silent, then the battle for our thoughts and focus begins.

Focus...only on Him, only for Him, only about Him, only with Him, only Him, only Him, ONLY HIM...not at all easy to do. The confession and silence will help to make the focus possible.

True Worship...After I confess, become silent and focus, then I can begin to worship...not perform,...not recite, and...nothing programmed. Just glorify Him. Get in His presence and make Him the center of everything, then even make Him the center of that.

Usually this happens on my knees or face. Sometimes it includes weeping and sometimes laughter; but only then and always, do I begin to see His holiness and experience His holiness. Then I say, “Glory, Glory, Glory to the lamb of Glory”.

We have so much to learn. I hope we can find ways together to consider His holiness. Just writing this article has caused me to consider, once again, the application of spiritual disciplines in my life. His holiness will do that, but we have to get there,
because it is hardly ever where we are.

In pursuit of Holiness,
Pastor Fred

1 comment:

  1. It's humbling to hear a beloved pastor speaking so humbly himself. When you deliver a Sunday sermon, you stand on the floor where the sinful congregation sits rather than up above us from behind a pulpit (I'd totally love to take credit for picking up on that myself, but it was Sam who brought it to my attention not too long ago).
    :)

    When you write these devotionals, it's no different. I'm proud to be able to call you "pastor." Thank you for today's devotional!

    P.S. - in my pursuit of silence, I'm contemplating giving away one barking dog, two meowing cats, and one hyperactive kid..any takers? :)

    P.S.S. - I'm totally kidding. I'll keep the kid ...and maybe the cats...

    ReplyDelete