Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Wonderful Wings and Fantastic Fins - Part One

"And God said, "Let the water teem with living creatures, and let birds fly above the earth across the expanse of the sky." So God created the great creatures of the sea and every living and moving thing with which the water teems, according to their kinds, and every winged bird according to its kind. And God saw that it was good. God blessed them and said, '"Be fruitful and increase in number and fill the water in the seas, and let the birds increase on the earth." And there was evening and there was morning--the fifth day." Genesis 1:20-23

I awoke today with this devotional in my heart. Why you may ask? Today was the first day that my mockingbird was back. Each spring, for several years now, somewhere around Easter; I am awakened by the early morning songs of a certain mockingbird. At first my reaction was that he was a nuisance, especially when he started imitating the sound of my alarm about an hour before it was set to go off.

Then, he began to humor me, as I sat at my window and listened to him go through his playlist of sounds, including what sounded like other alarms. Over the years, he has picked up many birdcalls and sounds and his repertoire is growing. I now welcome his arrival because he reminds me of God's creative beauty and the petulant character of people. How does he do that you may ask? He reminds me of the expansive creativity of God because he is just one bird who awakens so many feelings and illustrations in me. Far more than a picture, video, recording or TV show about birds, by the way. It is like God sends him my way to remind me of how wonderful this world is and how grateful I am to be in it. Which, I am sorry to say, is too easy to forget.

As for reminding me of the character of people (yes, including myself), for one, he will not share the phone wire. Not only does he need breathing or flapping room, he absolutely insists on having at least 30 ft. in both directions. This allows him to jump up and down and move back and forth during concert. Mr. Mockingbird has to have a stage. As his audience, I know this and after all I have paid nothing to hear him and he must have my undivided attention. Just like some people who have to be the center of attention and must draw attention to themselves or their crew. Without competition thank-you. After all you know how crowded it can get at the center of the universe.

He also has a thing about crows. Any crows, anywhere, anytime in his purview, not just the 60 ft. stage either. Crows are not allowed in sight. If one of those dastardly crows even so much as flies by in the distance, Mr. Mockingbird takes flight and chases to make sure they get the message that they are not welcome, ticket or not to even come close to his territory. No crows on the stage, no crows in the auditorium, no crows allowed... period. You know how we can be about certain people or types of people, invading our space.

As charming as he is, he is also just a little monotonous and more than a little repetitious. His "shtick" does get old and I don't often stay as long as he does and can't listen to the 30th run through of his song list. But, since he reminds me of God and since he is the source of some humor and he does give good life illustrations..... I suppose we can be in the same space again this spring. Can you imagine we have said this much about the wonderful wings and not a thing about the fantastic fins? Another time, but as you go through your day, don't miss out on what God would reveal through His creation. He created it for a reason you know.

We should open our eyes and ears and other senses and take it in. Don't miss out on this special feature of life. Listen to the birds. Are those parrots coming through again today? Is that pesky crow gonna tear up the church lawn this weekend? The parakeet my family had was named Corky. In order to have memories, you must connect to what is happening around us.

There is a show, you have a ticket and everywhere you look is a stage. What do you see? I will have to share with you my fantastic fins stories someday.

Eyes wide open to His wonders,
Pastor Fred

1 comment:

  1. I woke up in tears this morning after what was the millionth (perhaps an exaggeration, but still feels close) night of sleeplessness. Insomnia had wrapped itself around my mind and body once again. I warned God that my brain’s ability to function properly was quickly weakening (as if He didn’t already know, right?) and that He needed to get more involved. He didn’t have much to say to that. I shook it off and determined to walk through the remainder of the day in joy (still working on that – how much time do I have left?). “Get your mind off of you, Heather…mind off of you, mind off of you” continued to breeze through my sleepy head. I left for the pharmacy to pick up a prescription and arrived at 8:20. They were closed and wouldn’t be opening until 9:00. “Mind off you, Heather, mind off you…” quickly re-entered my mind as frustration tried to rise up within me. “Oh, how I could really use a pocket bible right about now,” I thought as I tried to recall scriptures with which to arm myself against the enemy’s attacks. Well, I didn’t have one, so I used my phone to check email, facebook, etc... “Aha! A word from God” I thought as I spotted the Grace Harbor Devotional on my FB wall. With a sigh of relief I clicked on what, to me, was a mysterious title - “Wonderful Wings and Fantastic Fins – Part One.” Intrigued, I started to read. “Mockingbird huh?” I silently pondered. Around 45 minutes later I was leaving the pharmacy and walking to my car. Now determined to take in all of God’s creation, I looked up at the gray sky. Above and slightly off to my left was a large flock of birds (I’m bird illiterate – I don’t know what kind they were) and they just flew in a circle over my head. They never moved from that spot, at least not while I was watching.

    The interesting question now becomes whether or not I would even have noticed them had I not just finished reading today’s devotional. Though only God knows for sure, I don’t think I would have. I think…no, I believe, that God used what you wrote to cause me to notice them. I had “mockingbirds” on my brain  which caused me to look up and be mindful of wonderfully winged creatures. So, again I owe you a huge thanks for working in my life in such a way that only God could have intended. I’m becoming increasingly amazed by how much these devotionals impact my daily moments. Thank you!

    P.S. – I went to purchase a pocket bible after I left there. I feel empowered!

    P.S.S – my joy has returned!

    ReplyDelete