Thursday, April 28, 2011

You Are The Light Of The World

Our Thursday Devotion comes to us from, Pastor Fred and Heather:

"You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven." Matthew 5:14-16

When Jesus says we are the light of the world, He is encouraging us to share our faith with others. The responsibility to witness as the Spirit leads presumes that we understand that He literally lives in us and wants us to open the door and let Him out as sure as we opened the door and let Him in. We cannot justify not witnessing and not evangelizing and not sharing the Good News with as many as possible. But I am the Pastor, so what else would you expect me to say?

How about I quote someone who responded to one of Lahoma’s devotions recently. Please read Heather's reflections on what it means to share her faith. By the way. Visit the church website to read these devotionals in the blog format. You can also read Heather's other insightful comments there. Enjoy and be inspired.

With a passion for the Gospel,
Pastor Fred

On April 18, 2011, Heather writes:

Isn't it interesting that it's most difficult to share our faith with loved ones? Or, is that just me? I gave my life to God in 2007 without really knowing what that meant. Even then I struggled to share that "aspect" (at that time, He was just that - an "aspect" of my daily living) of my life with close friends and family. Why? Because it was so uncharacteristic of ME to talk about anything "God!" A once wild child turned prayerful seeker of God? It was hard for me to embrace and seemingly harder for others to accept. Thus, I was insecure and self-conscious about what I was doing so for several years I opted to share as little as possible. God let me get away with this for awhile. However, within the last year, He has made it nearly impossible for me to continue living my life without sharing Him with those who have known me for the majority, if not all, of my life. The results have been both rewarding and heartbreaking. While I've grown amazingly closer to Him, I've drifted significantly further from certain (most) family and friends. Conflicts have arisen, differences have surfaced, and literal disconnects have ensued. The people who I once held so close no longer recognized me, nor did they want to. Ouch. "And why do I need to share my faith with anyone, God? Can't I just keep You to myself and forget about everyone who doesn't like me now?" I tearfully plead in the past. His answer was simple - "no," and to spice it up, He even let me know that "it's not about you." And all that time, I thought the world revolved around me...what a shocking revelation to find out otherwise :)

So, as He has gradually led (and is still leading) me out of my shell, I've been able to share Him with at least a couple of people who are dear to my heart. This hasn't ceased to be a challenge, but the more I do, something is gradually happening - either I'm getting stronger in Him or they're getting weaker in themselves....perhaps a little of both I suppose. At a time when conflict is still so present between myself and certain loved ones, I find much needed encouragement in devotionals like the one written above. Thank you, Lahoma and all for being such awesome role models in your own boldness for God. I’m inspired once again.

P.S. – My sister has recently accepted Christ into her life and had I not shared my faith with her when I found it uncomfortable, I don’t know if anyone else in her life would have. I don’t think she even knew anyone else who themselves knew Christ. Though it’s sometimes difficult to be bold in and about our faith, God is so faithful – He just saved my sister from Hell. It’s important that all of you know your role in this as well though. If you look at the white prayer sheet that is handed out each Sunday, you’ll find just her first name towards the bottom – “Melanie.” Under “Prayers for Salvation,” she’s there. I don’t know who, specifically, prays over each of the names, but you know who you are. From me to you, thank you for the vital role you played in bringing someone I love into a life with Christ.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, well…you’ve gone and done it again, Pastor. You made me cry and it’s not even noon (How DO you always do that!?). I am such a cry baby anyway, but you never cease to pull those tears of joy right out of my ducts. Though I was already aware of an upcoming inclusion of my words, I still did a double take when at the top I saw my own name paired with yours. Who am I that such an amazing (and you are truly amazing) pastor would want to use my words as inspiration for others? A “nobody” to the world, but, to a few, evidently a “somebody.” How wonderfully blessed I feel right now.

    Is it odd that I’m so very wowed by all of this? I think it’s not. I know where I came from and who I once was without God. I’m utterly fascinated by the woman He’s making me become, and you gave a glimpse of that person back to me today. I’m awestruck by how deeply He continues to have you touch my life. Thank you, Pastor, for seeing something inspirational in what I had to say. You and Grace Harbor are so much more of a blessing in my life than you could possibly ever know. May I continue to learn from your loving example.

    ReplyDelete