Thursday, April 21, 2011

Wonderful Waves and Fantastic Fins - Part Two

"And God said, "Let the water teem with living creatures, and let birds fly above the earth across the expanse of the sky." So God created the great creatures of the sea and every living and moving thing with which the water teems, according to their kinds, and every winged bird according to its kind. And God saw that it was good. God blessed them and said, '"Be fruitful and increase in number and fill the water in the seas, and let the birds increase on the earth." And there was evening and there was morning--the fifth day." Genesis 1:20-23

On the fifth day, God created the birds and fish. I recently wrote a devotional about birds, promising someday to share about fish. So, here we go. I have made my affection and connection for and with the ocean no secret. I am absolutely mesmerized by the sea, the things in it and everything about it, including the smell. Yep, somebody guessed it, even the smell of the fish. However strong, even putrid it can be, it just reminds me of the ocean, and that is a good thing.

When Genesis speaks of God creating the great creatures of the deep, I see whales in all their magnificence, jumping clear out of the water (what force that takes) and I hear whale songs.

In my college years, I listened to my folk music. I loved the simplicity of it, often relating to its themes of beauty, nature, and simpler life. As a Christian, I always correlated anything redeemable into my faith. I still do to this day.

Anything lovely, sweet, beautiful, or precious, are things I incorporated into my Biblical world-view, as it could apply to the truth. Such as it was with a Judy Collins song, “Whales and Nightingales.” The context of the motivation for the lyrics was that somewhere off some coast at certain times, the whales and nightingales would sing back and forth to each other. As part of the background of the beautiful words and music played the fascinating recording of this phenomenon. For me, utterly captivating. It reminded me of the fantastic revelation of God’s harmony, unity, and peace. Actually, it has brought me to tears considering that God knows this, created it that way for His glorification and He enjoys it, and most important to me in the moment, lets me hear it.

There is so much to be learned from nature, creation, and the universe. The mere fact that whales and nightingales sing to each other is a rich example of God’s exquisite majesty and unfathomable capability to illustrate beauty. Again, God created so we could experience Him. Need I say more…please do it. It glorifies Him and blesses us.

So blessed,
Pastor Fred

1 comment:

  1. This reminds me of a video we started watching a few nights ago (haven't quite finished it yet), called "God of Wonders." Just from what we saw, I can say with certainty that it is a "must see" for both believers and non-believers. In fact, I recall a time in my own life when I didn't believe in God, but I have a feeling that if someone had shown me this video back then, I would have been convinced otherwise…or at least been made mindful of the possibility that I was wrong. I certainly hope I wasn’t so caught up in my own self-proclaimed genius that I would have dismissed it, but it was, after all, college, and in those days I “knew everything”…or so I thought. How thankful I am that God brought me to my knees and showed me how very little I actually know!

    The video is very much related to the things on which you’ve written over the last two days, so for anyone who is interested (many may have already seen it and I’m just slow to the party) I’ve included a link to the video’s trailer. Perhaps I’m naïve and out of touch with how badly things in the world have gotten (I don’t watch the news, so I’m literally clueless at times), but I truly believe this video is so compelling that even the most devout atheist could be brought to his knees. I wish this type of test had been run on me when I, myself, denied God’s existence. Thank you, Pastor, for sharing your loving perspective on Him and His creation. I’m made better by knowing you and your thoughts. Those interested, click on the website below.


    http://www.godofwondersvideo.org/trailer.htm

    ReplyDelete