Friday, April 15, 2011

Strength and Power

Our Friday Devotion comes to us from Pastor Fred

"Be exalted, O Lord, in your strength; we will sing and praise your might." Psalm 21:13

Let’s discuss strength and power. There is a true connection between these words that should help clarify how they work together. Strength comes from power. We will never be strong enough by ourselves or in our own strength to be powerful. But, if we indeed have the power, we will be strong and have the strength we need in any circumstance or situation.

When we become Christians at the very point of salvation, we are given everything we need to live the Christian life, including all the power we need. Many times in scripture when the word power is used, it refers to the point of empowerment that happens at salvation. You have in you, because of Christ living in you, His power to do whatever you and He agree is His will. He can even be strong in your weakness, because it is Christ within you who accomplishes His will.

Everybody who believes will agree that often when we say, “we can't", it is not for a lack of power or the subsequent strength that it takes, but because of our laziness, selfishness or attitude. That is why power, and the strength that comes from it, often come at the point of surrender. Do you remember trying to learn how to hit a baseball? How frustrating! My dad reminded me that I needed to stop trying so hard, relax, and just let it happen. If you feel a lack of power and strength in your life, maybe you should consider letting God take more control, because He is really the source of your strength.

I love the praise and worship song that says “You're the strength of my life, the strength of my life, the strength of my life today.” He will give us the strength we need from the power that is within us. There is probably something that you think you can't do today, but it could be accomplished if you would only claim the power within you already, and let that give you strength. Maybe it is the strength to clean your room, or exercise, balance the checkbook, or get started on that list of things to do. I think the first step is to turn it over to God before getting totally frustrated or giving up. If we continue to try in our own power to do things, we will find ourselves failing over and over again. With His power there is nothing that He can't do. No matter how big or small, easy or hard He will help us to do it.

So here is the checklist for the times you feel powerless or weak.

1. Have I surrendered it to God?
2. Am I trying to do it in my own strength?
3. Am I sure that what I am doing is His will?

Give it some more thought and less feelings and see, what God will do through you. Remember, you have all the power you need.

In His Power and with His strength,
Pastor Fred

1 comment:

  1. For me, the most challenging is number three - "Am I sure that what I am doing is His will?" (all of them are challenging, but His will at times truly evades me). I have finally reached a place where I ask that His will and not my own be done, yet in efforts to activate a new level of faith, I step out into some type of action only to find that what I stepped out into was never His will. Thus, I am left feeling frustrated and discouraged. "How to know, how to know?" my mind wildy races. So, I opt to do nothing...but then I'm left feeling "shouldn't I do SOMETHING?" Through tears and sometimes rage, I beg of Him to tell me what He wants. Sometimes He answers, but today He did not. Or, through your devotional on "strength and power," perhaps He did. Thank you for being His light.

    ReplyDelete