Monday, August 1, 2011

"Do Not Worry About Tomorrow!"

Our Monday Devotion comes to us from Council Member, John Adams:

I'll start this devotional by letting you know upfront that I cannot take credit for the words quoted that follow which are credited to Sarah Young, who has written a wonderful tiny book called "Jesus Calling - Enjoying Peace In His Presence", which gives devotions for every day of the year.

I am engaged in a jury trial right now (plus my secretary is on a short 3-day vacation), but I decided that I still wanted to share words of God's truth. I have enjoyed listening to these daily devotions, which my wife and I have shared each night since she received this book in May for her birthday. The messages by the author are followed up with Scriptures that form the basis of the message, as she wanted to ensure that her messages are consistent with the Word of God. I purposefully went ahead in the book to today's date, July 15th, to share what God intended for me to hear this date, and hopefully it will speak to you as well. Friday's message from "Jesus Calling" follows (with me taking poetic license to capitalize the words that I believe God would have us cling to):

JULY 15 - "DO NOT WORRY ABOUT TOMORROW!

This is not a suggestion, but a COMMAND. I divided
time into days and nights, so that you would have
MANAGEABLE PORTIONS of life to handle. My grace is sufficient
for you, but its sufficiency is for ONLY ONE DAY AT A TIME.
When you worry about the future, you heap
day upon day of troubles onto your FLIMSY FRAME. You
stagger under this heavy load, which I NEVER INTENDED
you to carry.
Throw off this oppressive burden with one quick
THRUST OF TRUST. Anxious thoughts meander about and
crisscross in your brain, BUT TRUSTING ME brings you
directly into My Presence. As you thus AFFIRM YOUR FAITH,
shackles of worry fall off instantly. Enjoy My Presence
continually by TRUSTING ME at all times."

Matthew 6:34 : "Therefore, do not worry about tomorrow. for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough troubles of its own". (Is this not the truth, plus some?) I have found that worry accomplishes NOTHING, except maybe to give me more things to concern myself with, such as physical illnesses that seemingly result from the unnecessary worry.

2 Corinthianss 12:9 : "But He said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me." (Is this not the truth, plus some?) I find that when I am feeling weak and experiencing those moments of seeming helplessness, these are the times I call out most for His power to sustain me.

Psalm 62:8 : "Trust in Him at all times, O people; pour out your hearts to Him, for God is our refuge. Selah" (Is this not the truth, plus some?) What has helped me most in trying to overcome this issue with worry, for which I have struggled for most of my life, is that as I grow stronger in my relationship with Christ, I realize that I am not trusting in Him. I am starting to worry much less when I give it over to Him, as He has asked me to do, throughout His Word, believing that He is my ever present help at all times and in all things, and that He truly is my refuge.

So, if you are one of those people whose days do not have enough troubles of their own (WHO ARE YOU?), then perhaps it's okay for you to go ahead and find something to worry about. But, if you are like me, and countless other people I know and love, and your days have plenty enough troubles of their own, then I hope that the above message shared by author Sarah Young, and the accompanying scriptures, will allow you to "enjoy peace in His presence." I know that at this point in my life, I want that peace more than anything.

Have a blessed weekend in God's Word and fellowshipping with your Brothers and Sisters in Christ.
John

1 comment:

  1. At a time when my tomorrows are so very uncertain, I find deep comfort in the reminder that God doesn't just "suggest," but instead "commands" that I not worry. Lately, I seem to be moving about with one foot walking slowly and confidently next to a God whom I whole heartedly trust, and the other hopping, jumping, and leaping in frustrated uncertainty over my future. Seems if each foot is moving completely differently from the other, I’m not fully trusting Him after all. In quiet moments alone with Him, I find comfort in just knowing that no matter what, He’s got only good things in store, but when caught up in each day’s busy moments of figuring, planning, and deciding, I frequently catch myself worrying about what comes next. I have the Sarah Young book that you cited, but I read the entry you posted in a different way after you capitalized the words to which you believe God wants us to cling. Knowing it is God’s command, rather than a suggestion, seems to make the task of not worrying more do-able. Thank you for sharing! May I continue to trust in Him and worry over nothing!

    ReplyDelete