Thursday, August 18, 2011

Into The Storm

Grace Harbor Saints – I was reminded recently that “a saint is not to take the initiative toward self-realization, but toward knowing Jesus Christ, and that a spiritually vigorous saint’s aim is to achieve the realization of Jesus Christ in every set of their daily circumstances.” (From Oswald Chambers ‘My Utmost for His Highest’ - July 11)

Then, the same day my American Idol, Max Lucado, chipped in with the following message from ‘Lived Loved: Experiencing God’s Presence in Every Day Life’: The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases, His mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning; great is thy faithfulness. Lamentations 3:22–23 RSV Jeremiah was depressed, as gloomy as a giraffe with a neck ache. Jerusalem was under siege, his nation under duress. His world collapsed like a sand castle in a typhoon. He faulted God for his horrible emotional distress. He also blamed God for his physical ailments. “He [God] has made my flesh and my skin waste away, and broken my bones” Lamentations 3:4 RSV.

His body ached. His heart was sick. His faith was puny. . . . He realized how fast he was sinking, so he shifted his gaze. “But this I call to mind, and therefore I have hope: The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases, His mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning; great is thy faithfulness. ‘The Lord is my portion,’ says my soul, ‘therefore I will hope in Him’ ” Lamentations 3:21,24 RSV.

“But this I call to mind...” Depressed, Jeremiah altered his thoughts, shifted his attention. He turned his eyes away from his stormy world and looked into the wonder of God. He quickly recited a quintet of promises. (I can envision him tapping these out on the five fingers of his hand.)

The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases.
His mercies never come to an end.
They are new every morning.
Great is thy faithfulness.
The Lord is my portion.
The storm didn’t cease, but his discouragement did.

Thank you precious Savior, that Your love is steadfast. Thank you that Your mercies are new every morning. Thank you for Your great faithfulness, not only to me but to all Your people from the first day of creation. When I am tempted to become depressed and distressed, may I choose to gaze on You. May I remember that You are my portion. May I hope in Your unceasing love, amen.

I feel better already! Have a blessed day!!
Ray Beeman

1 comment:

  1. Wow, this came to me at precisely the right moment. Have you ever woken up and realized within just a matter of minutes that things are just "off?" Well, I may as well have climbed out of bed head first because the minute my feet hit the floor, everything seemed upside down. I could have been walking on my hands and it would have felt more normal. I was sore from yesterday’s vigorous workout and cranky from lack of sleep. With hair sticking straight up, eyes begging to stay closed, and a surly growl ready to command my face, I fought off the urge to crawl back into bed and opened my bedroom door. Less than five minutes into my day, I was also reminded of how miserably depressing certain other battles I’m facing are. “God, I really need you this morning,” I quickly reached out. After I grabbed my coffee, I hurriedly scurried into my “God place” and began to search the scriptures. While in the midst of studying, it became clear to me that I needed to change my focus, but I struggled to shift gears. (Because wallowing and complaining is so much more fun, right?) Well, before I finished reading, I came to grips with what I needed to do, but didn’t know how. I set my things aside and prepared to go about my day, but, of course not without first checking my email. After reading your devotional, I know now that I need to gaze upon Jesus (such a simple and logical solution, but one we procrastinate in reaching. We are absolutely astonishing creatures sometimes!) Your final sentiments found in the last two sentences are what finally reached my stubborn core. I’m brought to tears by His relentless love and determination to speak to me and answer my prayers. How blessed I am to have such an amazing church group who is so ready and willing to be His vessel. Like you, Ray, I feel better already! Thank you for today’s devotional. It was just what I needed.

    ReplyDelete