Monday, August 29, 2011

Fifty is the new Forty!

"Again the Israelites cried out to the LORD, and he gave them a deliverer--Ehud, a left-handed man, the son of Gera the Benjamite. The Israelites sent him with tribute to Eglon king of Moab." Judges 3:15

I heard something on the morning news the other day that made me stop and laugh. What was the comment? Well, they were talking about milestone birthdays! You know the ones – 30 years old, 40 years old, 50 years old, etc. What made me laugh was when they said that 30 was the new 20, 40 is the new 30 and that 50 is the new 40 years old! Yea! Why did I say Yea? Well, I just turned 50 years old on my last birthday. So, with this new thinking I’m only 40 years old but that doesn’t really help because I have the skeletal system of someone who is 80 years old.

I mean I walk slower than a snail, I have to walk using a walker and each and every step is extremely painful – and the pain – I’ve been told – is shown in my face when I walk. What’s interesting to my wife and I is people stop and talk with me. God uses this “handicap” situation as a way to talk with total strangers about Him and what an awesome blessing it is to Him and Jesus in my life and the strength and courage that He gives me each and every day to live my life for Him and my family, both biological family and church family. It’s exciting to see them get encouraged when I share that the whole reason I’m still alive and moving forward is because of Jesus and all the prayers that my family (both families) and strangers pray on my behalf. Who would have thought my handicapped body would open us so many opportunities to minister and witness on His behalf? God did, of course!

This mornings passage of scripture is a perfect example of God using a person perceived handicap to bring honor and glory to our Lord. What is not widely known is at the time Ehud was growing, being left-handed was a major handicap. However, the people who God sent Ehud to deliver the Israelites from found being left-handed was a sign of strength. In fact, the élite soldiers that were protecting the king of Moab were all left-handed. The tribute that the people made for King Élan was a double-edge sword that Ehud kept strapped to his right thigh under his robe. This was very important, because when Ehud would reach for the sword to kill Eglon, he would not think anything of it. What is so encouraging and exciting is that God will use our perceived weaknesses and unique qualities to accomplish His work that He has set out for us to do. By being obedient and our willingness to do what God has asked and instructed us to do, we can be mighty warriors for our Lord, Jesus Christ. It is God's love for us, that we find that no matter what people may think of us, that God sees us as the perfect individuals that He created. It's like this bumper sticker I have seen in the past that read: "God doesn't make junk." That is totally true and totally awesome.

Be encouraged my brothers and sisters and know that you are totally perfect the way God created you. And in due season, He will use you to do something totally and completely amazing.

Living for Him,
Brother Rick

1 comment:

  1. Wow, I'm not sure I like this news report because if in my 30's, I'm really in the new 20's, I'll pass. My twenties weren't kind to me at all. Or, perhaps I wasn't kind to them? Maybe a little of both, but at any rate, I'm encouraged indeed. I rarely feel like God's perfect creation, but it's nice to be reminded that I am. May I see all of my weaknesses as opportunities to glorify His strength! Thank you for today's devotional!

    ReplyDelete