Tuesday, August 16, 2011

What To Do

"Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, and faithful in prayer." Romans 12:12

Sometimes there are verses that resonate with us at a specific time. Whether the circumstances are difficult or easy, big or small, all-important or seemingly trivial. The truth always applies and needs to be applied.

Such is the case with Romans 12:12 and two recent events in my life. One is of the most serious kind and the other is not. First the serious matter. My longtime friend and brother; Dave Wallace died a couple of days ago after a multi-year battle with cancer. Over the long and valiant battle, his wife Cheryl has posted this scripture 'Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction and faithful in prayer.' I can easily understand why. I have been amazed at how patient they have been in the affliction, and I am sure the commitment and need for that drew them to the verse. But, they have also been so faithful in prayer at every turn, up and down, and not only for Dave, but for all they have come in contact with who are also battling. I know there are prayerful people, intercessors and warriors who are unrelenting in their dedication to keep on praying, and do. The most inspiring thing though, has been the joyfulness in hope. Even now; whether the hope has been for healing, or for comfort, for another new treatment or for angels to be near, all that has been done with joy. What a testimony. I baptized this man almost 20 years ago, and his zeal for his faith, never faded.

Now the trivial, but powerful application. Recently, I have been almost obsessed with the replacement process of our broken projector at the church. I have been battling the impending death of our current projector for a couple of years, not with joy or patience. My prayers have been strained at best and my attitude has been all over the place. This, not over truly serious matters, but over a piece of man-made equipment. For some reason my battle with this has been challenging more than is necessary. I seem to have missed the Biblical perspective somehow and the Christian attitude that should go with it. Hmmmm.... There is a lesson here somewhere, not an easy one either.

Perhaps as I read Cheryl's invitation to Dave's Memorial Celebration, I should reread the closing words, you know what they are... Romans 12:12 "Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction and faithful in prayer." Thanks for the reminder Dave and Cheryl. I really do believe everything is gonna be OK…….even if I sometimes don't act like it.

Joyfully, Patiently, Faithfully His... In all things.
Pastor Fred

1 comment:

  1. Wow, first of all, I am so sorry for the loss of your dear friend. It seems death is everywhere lately. Though I know it's a joyous occasion for a loved one to enter into the presence of the Lord, the pain that is felt by the survivors is immense. You're in my prayers.

    Second, I don't laugh at your frustrations, but I confess the next to last paragraph made me chuckle. Perhaps because I'm reminded of how I so often act over the "man made" issues of my own life. Just ask Sam, he'll be quick to tell anyone how crazed and obsessed I can become over the absence of proper functionality in my slowly deteriorating computer (among other things). I got so mad the last time it crashed, I actually came close to picking it up and throwing it, or at least hitting it (yeah, THAT would have accomplished a lot). How easily we forget what's truly important and what is not. I wonder what God thinks as He looks down on us in our moments of childish tantrums over the non-essentials of this world? Imagine if my computer crashed a final time, and I was actually forced to pick up the phone or write a letter? Wow, however did our ancestors survive? :) As my computer locks up on me once again, I'm grateful for the reminder in Romans 12:12. Thank you, Pastor Fred, for sharing today's devotional. It is much needed in my own day!

    ReplyDelete