Monday, August 8, 2011

Our Monday Devotion comes to us from, Pastor Rick Ballester:

"Not that I was ever in need, for I have learned how to get along happily whether I have much or little. I know how to live on almost nothing or with everything. I have learned the secret of living in every situation, whether it is with a full stomach or empty, with plenty or little." Philippians 4:11-12 NLT

As a child growing up, I use to go to work every day with my father to his business that he owned. My father owned a gas station and an auto repair shop. Like every type of business we had our great seasons where the money was pouring in hand over fist, and we had our drought seasons too when my father used his personal savings and refinancing of our house to keep the business going.

I remember as a child how my father was always happy about the way our life was going. It didn’t matter if we were eating steak and potatoes for dinner, or mom’s famous “kitchen sink” casseroles where she cooked anything she could find in the kitchen due to lack of money to purchase additional groceries.

My father always told me the greatest thing in life is learning to be happy and content in whatever situation you may be in. He said that it would prevent stress and anxiety, and he said that it allowed us to experience peace and yes, even joy. I asked how that was possible and he would always smile and say that it was because of Jesus. Like the Apostle Paul, my father had learned that the key to happiness is learning to be content in whatever situation they were in. He had learned that no matter what Jesus would always be there, and whatever the need he may have-whether it was for himself, the family, or the business, that Jesus would provide for and meet each and every need.

So be encouraged and learn to be content in each and every situation of your life. Remember that whatever the situation is, Jesus is there to help you through it.

In Him,
Brother Rick

1 comment:

  1. What a great example your father set. Thank you for sharing. I pray that God gives me the heart and mind to set that very example for my own son.

    ReplyDelete