Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Boasting in the Lord

"Let him who boasts, boast in the Lord. For it is not the one who commends himself who will be approved, but the one whom the Lord commends." II Corinthians 17-18

Paul could have just as easily said, 'Stop bragging and drawing attention to yourself!!' What he says is so much more effective. When we hear these words we automatically think that we shouldn't boast or brag, and that the attention should all go to Him. But, rather than evoke a defensive reaction, he couches that truth in an inarguable statement. Ahhh, the beauty of God's Word, so well said.

After all, bragging on God is easy because He is perfect. You can't go wrong. Whatever good thing you say about Him is absolutely true. He is all that and more. With such an excellent God, why do we boast so much about ourselves? (And we are so clever to mask our bragging as just sharing or 'just sayin' or just giving the facts) The answer is in the verses today. It is all about approval. Here is the key though. We confuse 'love' with approval. The commendation of yourself will not get you love. If everyone knows, (and I can tell them, just how wonderful I am), then they will love me or 'approve' of me. I know that sounds shallow, but it is true. So we brag about our behaviors and opinions that Christ would not commend and say that if you love me you will accept my behavior and opinions. Or approve of my wrong opinions or behaviors. How can an opinion be wrong? If it conflicts with God's Word. Jesus says He loves us and hates our sin. We say, if you really love me, you will accept me or approve of me no matter what. God does not approve of your sin, but He still loves you.

When we exercise healthy boundaries we must do the same thing. I love you and I disapprove your sin. At least say that Jesus disapproves of sin, even if you confuse love and approval on the giving it side of the equation. I think our boasting is an attempt for needed acceptance, be it bold or veiled. So is our weakness about being so accepting of sin. When we accept God's unconditional love we can grow away from childish conditional expectations of approval for those things that are unacceptable to God. Let us love with a mature love in Christ that encourages others to do and live right and doesn't enable or co-depend with those we love, caving in to immature approval needs. Love unconditionally, without compromising God's standards. The Word says that is the commendable thing to do.

Enough said,
Pastor Fred

No comments:

Post a Comment