Tuesday, October 11, 2011

The Way I See it

"For we are taking pains to do what is right, not only in the eyes of the Lord but also in the eyes of men." II Corinthians 8:21

If you deal objectively with people very much and try to do God's will at the same time, you will need to apply the principle of this verse often. As the verse indicates, it can be painful. Wouldn't you think that if it was right in the eyes of Lord, that would be enough? Well... Yes and no.

I mean, it is really, but even if it is, you still can't mow people over, even with a right thing. Sometimes you have to just a little, but by and large you need consensus to move forward together. How much consensus? Well... That is where the pain comes in. Some folks feel like this... "If I can't see it, nobody can see it and therefore we ain't doin it" or, "If I don't like it, makes no difference whether anybody likes it, cause it ain't happening." In such cases someome possesses veto power and we can only go as fast as the slowest member of the group. For example, if someone or a very small group of people decide amongst themselves that everything that happens has to be right in their eyes before we even ask the Lord about it, then it being right in the Lord's eyes becomes secondary. God help us not to become veto-empowered gatekeepers of His work. Paul was doing his best and understood that in order to bring the whole group forward, there had to be some consensus.

In one of my first Youth Minister positions, on my first Sunday on staff, I was cornered by two gentlemen who kindly, but sternly told me that 'nothin happened at First Baptist unless they first agreed to it'. So I was advised to save myself some time, and check everything with them first. They would then call a meeting if they were for it, or stop me from going any farther if they weren't. (Oh boy, I thought, this should be fun) Needless to say, I went straight to the Pastor and the Church Moderator and they told me not to worry about it. It was just a test. Over a year or so, we all knocked heads a few times before trust grew and we really started seeking the Lord in everything first. His work doesn't have to be as painful as we make it. How painful do you make it? Does everything have to go through you or do you have veto power? Or do you enjoy being a gatekeeper? I pray that what is right in the Lord's eyes will be just fine with you and me.

In His Service,
Pastor Fred

1 comment:

  1. Hello, my name is Heather and I'm a recovering control freak. I was completely convicted by this message (thank you?) because I'm so controlling, not only in my marriage, but also in my entire life approach. Very few things (okay, NO things) get done in our house without first passing through my hands. I've come a long way since handing this issue over to God, but oh how far I have to go! Thank you, PAstor Fred, for a truly convicting message. May God continue to lead me into submission!

    ReplyDelete