Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Such Were Some of You

"but you were washed, but you were sanctified, but you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ..." I Corinthians 6:11

From time to time I pass on a devotional thought that someone thought was so good they sent it to me. This devotional from Pastor Ed Young makes a wonderful, poignant point. Also, I met Pastor Ray Stedman some years ago and his book, 'Body Life' was very influential in my early ministry days. I hope you see the grace, hope and love presented so effectively. I hope you continue to feel at home in whatever church you call home, even if you have to be truly honest about whom you have been or who you are. I feel at home in Grace Harbor, because as I say, "you could measure the pretense in a thimble." Enjoy these convicting words and this amazing story.
In His Grace, Pastor Fred

I always tell folks that if they are looking for a perfect church and think they’ve found one not to join it. They’d only mess it up! When we’re dressed up and on our best behavior, it’s easy to forget that we are all sinners saved by grace.

The late Ray Stedman was leading his church through a study of I Corinthians. He read them the list of the kinds of sinners that will not inherit the kingdom of God: fornicators, idolaters, adulterers, effeminate, homosexuals, thieves, the covetous, drunkards, revilers, or swindlers. Then he said, quoting Paul, and such were some of you. With that, he asked those in his congregation who could identify with one or more of these sins to stand to their feet. No one moved until one saintly woman stood. Stedman said that one by one, people began to stand. Before it was over, two-thirds of those present were on their feet.

They had an invitation that night, and a young man came forward and said, “I’ve been coming to this church for a long time, and everyone looked so holy and good. They sang, they prayed, they listened to the sermon...and they all seemed so perfect that I just didn’t think I belonged.” But, he said, "when you read that list and I saw all those people stand, I said, Hey, I’ve been there. I’ve done that. I’m not so different from them after all. Maybe this is my kind of place."

The Body of Christ is not a museum for saints. It’s a hospital for sinners. That’s why so many of us feel at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment