Thursday, October 13, 2011

Sowing and Reaping

"Remember this; whoever sows sparingly will also reap sparingly and whoever sows generously will also reap generously." II Corinthians 9:6

Recently, I was reminded of both sides of the law of reciprocity. You have no doubt heard that 'what goes around comes around' or, 'for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction'. As long as physical laws do not contradict God's principles, they are true. I believe all truth emanates from God and whatever is true has its basis in God.

Paul is talking about giving in this passage written to the Corinthians, but the principle applies universally. For example, give a lot of love and you get a lot of love, or conversely, give little love, get little love too. In fact, if ever the giving and getting gets 'out of whack', it invariably causes trouble. For example, if someone is giving a lot of whatever and is getting little or nothing in return, that can cause a problem. In addition, if someone is giving very little and getting a lot in return, that seems to cause problems also.

Oh yeah, what was I reminded of that brought these truths to light? Well, much to my chagrin, I have found in recent months that if I eat more and exercise less, I gain unwanted weight. What is up with that? I mean, it makes perfect sense to me, but I don't like it and am fighting changing either side of the formula. On the other hand and on a much more positive note, I have been experiencing a generous reaping of kindness from kindness sown. Hey, I got an idea. If I am less kind or meaner, will I lose weight? Nope, that will not work. We have to sow in such a way, and by principle, so that we will reap the desired results. I am reminded just now how much easier it is for me to be kind than to exercise or change my food intake.

What is truly disgusting is when someone is unkind, cold or mean, and then I eat to comfort myself. You see, I am responsible for all my own actions and my own reactions too. Somewhere, in the principles that guide my life I must harness the strength and encouragement that comes from one arena of my life and positively affect another arena of my life.

Whether you struggle or succeed with self-control or being kind or whatever in your life, I hope you make an appropriate application of this principle today. I am trying to do it too.

In Him,
Pastor Fred

No comments:

Post a Comment