Monday, October 17, 2011

Mine Is Not Yours!

"For if the willingness is there, the gift is acceptable according to what one has, not according to what he does not have." II Corinthians 8:12

Whenever I go to the beach, there is a scene that is played out there 100% of the time. I cannot think of a single time that I have ever been to the beach that I have not watched it happen. There is an eerie quiet, suddenly interrupted by loud squawking and fluttering, I look up from writing and I see seagulls fighting over the contents of someone's unattended lunch. Chips are flying, bread torn asunder, cookies being demolished by angry, selfish and demanding birds, totally, emotionally out of control. Just like in the movie, "Finding Nemo", screaming "Mine! Mine! Mine!" I have watched the same scene at our preschool between two-year-olds over toys.

I have also experienced a eerily similar experience when I am writing checks or making decisions about "MY" Money. It sure simplifies things when I start with the principle of the tithe (10%), giving to God first, and then making decisions about being a good steward with the rest. When I am not disciplined about giving Him the 'first-fruits' of my labor, I find that it very quickly becomes "Mine! Mine! Mine!" Actually, it is all His anyway, and I am just the steward. It is so important to give to Him first. Paul is making a couple of very important points in this passage.

First, 'IF' the willingness is there. That gets to the heart of the matter, doesn't it? Are we really willing to admit that everything is 100% His and that the principle of the tithe comes first? Answer that one, and then we can move on to the next. It is not easy to answer honestly. Second, 'the gift', those words meaning, given freely, not under compulsion, but because of love, commitment and obedience. I just now experienced this myself realizing that my gift was honestly incomplete and when I admitted that the "Mine! Mine! Mine!" was drowning out the "Yours! Yours! Yours!" In my heart, it came to me, all of a sudden... The correct title of today's devotional should have read "Yours Is Not Mine!" Think about that with me. Like you, I just need to be an honest and faithful steward.

Pastor Fred

No comments:

Post a Comment