Friday, October 7, 2011

Worry Not

Our Friday Devotion comes to us from Council Member, Kim:

"...therefore do not worry and be anxious, saying, what are we going to have to eat? Or what are we going to have to drink? Or what are we going to have to wear? For the Gentiles wish for and crave all these things, and your heavenly Father knows well that you need them all. But seek first of all His kingdom and His righteousness and then all these things taken together will be given you besides." Matthew 6:31–33

God says…..do not WORRY…..how many of us do this daily?? It is so easy to worry (being troubled, anxious, tormenting yourself with disturbing thoughts). I could ask each person……..who would like to live in peace?? I think it is safe to say that everyone wants to live in peace versus turmoil…..you can not have peace and worry at the same time. Do you realize how much pleasure you are giving the devil by worrying?? Of course, the devil works at keeping this his goal the devil wants us to think that worry is something little and you can just brush it off by saying oh everybody worries a little bit. No my friend….not everyone worries. Worry is a tool of the devil so it is not something that we as Christians need to tolerate. Worry is nothing but a satanic attack on your mind. It does not accomplish anything good.

More often than not there is nothing you can do about the things that concern you. They’re beyond your control. You can worry about your future or your children’s future, but there is nothing you can do in the natural about these things. So we should start spending our time and energy on giving our thoughts over to God and remember Gods promise to us…”You will guard him and keep him in perfect and constant peace whose mind is stayed on You because he commits himself to YOU.

Lord, please forgive me for allowing the devil to torment me in this area of my life. I pray daily Lord that you will be the center of my mind and that when I start to worry that I will just stop and give it over to you. I thank you Lord for listening to my cry of help. Amen

Trusting in Him,
Kim

2 comments:

  1. Thanks, Kim, for today's devotional. I'm behind on reading them this week so today's is the first one I opened and it is just what I need. As some of you know, I used to suffer from severe and mentally crippling panic attacks and generalized anxiety disorder, but over the course of the last year God has walked me through them into what has often felt like victory. However, it doesn't usually take a whole lot to drag my mind's thoughts and contemplations back down into that dark hole of worry and fear. Just in the last few weeks I've been fighting against the very thing about which your devotional is written. I fight back harder and stronger now than I did two years ago, but it's a fight nonetheless. Thank you for the reminder that worry, fear, and panic are most definitely not from God. May I run to Him for shelter from those storms.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank-you Kim for this much needed and timely reminder. I fall to this attack I'm sad to say on a regular basis and I have to remind myself of these truths that you've shared with us today. Thank-you again for this much needed reminder.

    ReplyDelete