Monday, March 17, 2014

Always and Continually

"Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus."" 1 Thessalonians 5:16

I really love all of Paul's writings, but especially those usually shared under the subtitles of 'Final Instructions', 'Final Warnings', 'Final Advice', 'Final Greetings'. In a sense he gives final words to each of the letters that he writes. They come across like 'bullet points for believers'. I do pretty well with lists. I always and continually have a list of Things To Do working. Nothing is more satisfying than to complete a short list of things to do. Of course we never get everything done. In the same way, we never complete the spiritual maturation process either.

Paul's advice in this verse is pretty clear. I can guarantee from personal experience that when I am rejoicing always, praying continually and giving thanks in all circumstances..... my attitude is way better. So what comes first? The attitude or the actions? Well, for me it seems to help if I start doing right things and then feeling right comes along naturally. If I wait until I have a better attitude, it seems that I don't get as much done or feel any better about it any quicker.

God wants us to trust Him, to serve Him, to enjoy our lives as much as possible. First thing in the morning, gotta turn it all over to Him. Last thing at night too. In the between time I must focus on the 'alls'. AL[L]ways rejoicing. Praying ContinuALLy and Giving Thanks in ALL circumstances. Otherwise how can I honestly say, God is Good ALL the time, ALL the time God is good. Life has ups and downs everyday. The only way I can turn it around is when I start being thankful, or rejoicing or keeping on praying. Paul's advice is good for us and we would do better to heed it. I hope that today you sense His presence and power and purpose in you.

In Him,
Pastor Fred

No comments:

Post a Comment