Thursday, March 13, 2014

Respect and Regard

"Now we ask you brothers, to respect those who work hard among you, who are over you in the Lord and who admonish you. Hold them in the highest regard in love because of their work." 1 Thessalonians 5:12-13a

I'm sure Paul must have found it awkward because I sure do, to address this matter. Paul is telling the believers that they should respect and hold in high regard those who the Lord has called to serve them. That of course includes himself. This is a request. It is not a mandate. Respect for those who serve the Lord in the ministry has greatly waned in recent decades. Some because some have behaved so wrongly, some because general respect is on the decline and some because the respect and regard for Christianity and Christians is in such decline. But as for believers, they should do just as Paul has asked. Pastors and other ministry leaders should be given a respect because of the work they do. Sometimes you may respect the work more than the person, that is understandable. But, in general, Pastors, Missionaries, and other ministry workers should be held in high regard, as should those who serve. I know some Pastors, Missionaries and Ministry people, who because of their weaknesses, personalities or styles are difficult to respect, hold in any regard, even with love. But, because of their work and who they work for, they should be respected.

For the most part though, people in the ministry are hard workers, dedicated to the Lord and trying very hard to not be a stumbling block or a hindrance to the work that God has called them to do. A few years back I learned of a Pastor that I served with, that while we were partnering in ministry, he was being totally inappropriate with girls in the youth group I was the Youth minister for. I did not know til decades later. I found this very difficult to hear and wrap my mind around. I found it devastating. It was not of the worst kind of stuff, but still, way out of bounds. I reached out to the families of those affected and they knew I was unaware, but still, it broke my heart. So I have forgiven my coworker and turned it all over to the Lord. He has been confronted and had to deal with his actions.

May I say at this point that if you have ever been hurt by someone in ministry that my heart goes out to you. That is totally so wrong, and I, as a representative of His work, apologize to you. There is a betrayal and disappointment that is hard to explain. Over the years I have heard a number of these stories. Everything from meanness, to rejection to abuse. Nonetheless believers, in general, please follow Paul's teaching. Hold those who teach you and admonish you in the highest regard with respect in love as much as is humanly possible.

Humbly in His Service,
Pastor Fred

No comments:

Post a Comment