Monday, March 10, 2014

The Rapture

"For the Lord Himself will come down from heaven, with a loud command, with the voice of the archangel and with the trumpet call of God, and the dead in Christ will rise first. After that, we who are still alive and are left will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And so we will be with the Lord forever.Therefore encourage each other with these things" 1 Thessalonians 4:16

This verse has been studied and torn apart as much as any in the Bible because there are several viewpoints on what, how and when these events are to take place. I have never been fond of tying down the details of what God is gonna do. He does it how He pleases, when He pleases and How He pleases. That is good enough for me. I try to let Him handle those details, because He is so good at them. Let me add three things that are important to me in the passage, one from the beginning, one from the middle and one from the end. First off, I love that it is the Lord Himself that is coming again. He is not sending someone or doing all this from above. He is coming back Himself.

Second is the fact that the Scripture says we will be caught up together with Him in the air. That phrase 'caught up' comes from the Greek word 'harpazo', when translated into English means, 'to grasp hastily, snatch up, to life, transport, or rapture' . Within that definition you can see many, if not all, of the words that have been associated with The Rapture. Call it what you many, it is going to happen, according to His Word.

Thirdly is that these words are a source of encouragement, not a source of fear. We can look forward to the very real possibility of being raptured. All the arguments about the specifics will be minimized in His presence. I am glad He is coming back. I am glad I know Him. I am glad to share Him with you and I hope you know Him too. If so, we should look forward to His return. If not, give your life and heart to Him today. Don't let another day pass or read another devotional until you know for sure that you have been saved. Today is the day for salvation. Today is the day to celebrate in advance that someday He will return just as He said.

I say Maranatha!!!
Pastor Fred

No comments:

Post a Comment