Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Like A Thief In The Night

"Now brothers, about times and dates we do not need to write to you, for you know very well that the day of the Lord will come like a thief in the night" 1 Thessalonians 5:1-2

You can count on the fact that I, for one,will not be putting times or dates on the return of Christ. Evidently this verse, and some others, are not in some folks Bibles or they somehow explain away that we cannot know the day of Christ's return. The way I read my Bible, the Son Himself doesn't know that day and only God the Father knows. Struggle all you want how one of the Godhead knows and the others don't, but the truth remains, His return is top secret. I know this, it won't be on a day when somebody has made some big deal about His return or predicted it precisely. God would not honor that. Although, my understanding of God says that He can do whatever He pleases, whether that works with anyone's calendar or prognostication or not.

I am at peace with Him being in charge of His timing. That works better for me anyway. Granted, I should live like it could happen now, or thousands of years from now. I have never been one to worry or be anxious about His return. I just know He's coming and I want to be ready. If that is beyond the time I have left, I want to make sure that I tell as many as possible that they should have a plan for that day. When I was in my teens a movie by the name of "A Thief In The Night" came out. Movies that were made in the 60's and 70's by Christians were not very well made for the most part. This one was a little better and definitely left you with the thought that it could happen all of a sudden and that some folks might be surprised to be left behind.

Paul says He had no need to remind them that of the time and date of His return they could not know. Because of the hope for His imminent return this teaching had to be repeated many times until it was commonly understood that nobody should be predicting anything. Throughout history many folks have gotten ready for an even that didn't happen. Think about it, this verse says like a thief in the night, which means unannounced. No thief ever publishes His time or date and neither will the Lord. May this truth give you peace, hope, expectation and confidence that He will come when He should, no sooner or later. I used to say back in the 70's when there was more buzz about it, "I will see you here or there, or in the air." That is still true.

With Hope,
Pastor Fred

No comments:

Post a Comment