Wednesday, March 11, 2015

"ABOUT YOUR ENEMY"

"Be self-controlled and alert. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour." 1 Peter 5:8

I for one do not want to be the devil's dinner. He nips at me, chews on me, picks at my wounds and would like to devour me completely if I would let him. But, I don't have to. I can choose to avoid him stalking me and treating me like his prey. How? Just like the verse says, “By being self-controlled and alert”. This is great advice for protecting yourself against the enemy. First of all, take responsibility for the access you give the devil because you are out of control. Good grief set up some simple boundaries. Control where you go, what you look at, what you think, what you listen to, what you read, what you allow yourself to mess with. You know, play with fire and you will get burned. If I don't want to be eaten by the devil, I probably should stay out of his kitchen, his refrigerator, his restaurant and his supermarket. If I don't go where trouble or sin is I am far less likely to find it. Have a decent defense right? Protect yourself. Stay away from him and his favorite places to mess with people. Stay away from people who get tempted a lot. The other advice is great, too. Be alert. Not only should we not wander into his path, we should also watch out for his attack. He will not only pick you off for a snack if you stray into his territory, he will also come looking for you, especially if you are new in the faith, or growing in the faith, or serving in the faith. He does not give warning. Oh, the Lord will warn you. He is warning you now. Stay away from the enemy and look out for his attacks. The enemy doesn't play fair. He is a liar and a cheat. He seduces addicts, manipulates and destroys. His sole goal is to undo the work of the Lord in each of our lives. He hates us and will dismember us before eating us alive. He will divide us and turn us on each other. Know your enemy but don't play his game. Be alert, keep your eyes open and keep your eyes on the Lord. Whenever there is trouble or discord or conflict, watch out because the enemy is near, just waiting to pounce. God has our back; we should look out for ourselves and each other.

With an eye out for you,
Pastor Fred

No comments:

Post a Comment