Monday, March 23, 2015

"SINCERE LOVE"

“Now that you have purified yourselves by obeying the truth so that you have sincere love for your brothers and sisters, love one another deeply, from the heart.” 2 Peter 1:22

We jest about the catchphrase, “Love you mean it!” Yet there is a subtle underlying truth to the humor behind the jesting. Do we really mean it when we say “love you”? I think we know we should be sincere and sometimes we act overly sincere in order to make up for our lack of empathy, sympathy or true feelings of love. I know in marriage love is a commitment and not just a word. Love is a verb and not just a feeling. I think the key is being honest before God. Like today for example, I have mixed feelings. I love people, but I am disappointed in our actions, or more so words, including myself. Our issue is most often with ourselves and not others. That is the truth, which is a good start.
Be honest.
Go to God.
Purify your heart by confession.
Forgive others.
Forgive yourself.
Accept His forgiveness.

Now, sincere love is easier. I am feeling it myself just now. It is deeper, not just surface out of obligation, but deeper because it is coming from my recently purified heart. I am humbled by how easy this attitude adjustment has been. And you?

Love you, mean it!
Pastor Fred

No comments:

Post a Comment