Tuesday, March 17, 2015

GRACE AND PEACE

“Peace to all of you who are in Christ.” 1 Peter 5:14b

These are Peter’s final words in his first letter. He will write again in
2 Peter. I wonder if at the end of this letter he knew he would write again. It probably makes no difference. We know he cares deeply and is very concerned about the church that is dispersed, or far away. News and contacts traveled slowly in those days. So these words could be your last. Do you find it hard to find the right words to sign off or to start a letter? For Peter, he starts and ends basically with the same words: Grace and Peace. It is 40 years since his sermon at Pentecost and he by now knows what is most important. The only true peace we have comes from His grace. Nothing else matters as much.

I know for me, 40 years after my early ministry I can think of no better words to open and close letters or conversations. When I write the words “In Him” so often, I am able to do that and am motivated to say it because I know His grace and have His peace. I have it today, His deep peace because of His saving grace

So, like old Peter I say grace and peace to all of you, today. If you are in Christ, we share that peace and know His grace. Be encouraged.

In Him,
Pastor Fred

No comments:

Post a Comment