Monday, March 9, 2015

“PRIDE OR HUMILITY?”

"All of you, clothe yourselves with humility toward one another, because, "God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble." 1 Peter 5:5b

We all know that we should choose humility over pride, but the actual implementation of the practice is another thing, altogether. Not easy to do. I think we never actually relinquish the pride part and therefore the humility part comes across pretty phony. When you clothe yourself with humility it means that you cover yourself, that you put something over yourself and change your appearance. Our nakedness as it were refers to our sin. Humility means something when you realize that it isn't natural for us. We come into this world naked and proud. As much as we love babies and feel as they are precious and wonderful, in all honesty they are demanding, selfish, helpless and proud. We are not born in innocence, all humble and meek. We come out kicking and screaming and demand to be fed and cleaned and catered to in every way. Some folks never get over that. Admit you are sinful by nature and humility will come easier.

The Old Testament verse that is quoted here is from Proverbs 3:34. I don't know about you but I can create plenty enough trouble for myself. Others can give me a lot of grief, too. I for sure don't need opposition from God. Who in their right mind would ask for that? We all do, that's who. Our tendency is to be proud and right and self-justified, full of our own selves and not considerate of others. We think about “number one” most of the time. How we feel. What we want. How it is about us. That is why you need to clothe yourself with humility towards everybody. If you do, God will give you grace to handle every situation. If you don't, you will not only offend people and exacerbate your problems, you will also get no help from God. I want God's help; I want Him with me and for me. If so, I must be humble towards others. May not like it, but it is best for them, best for me and God will appreciate it. After all, if I might be blunt: just how much trouble are you trying to be? Trouble will come on its own, I don't need to usher it in, or promote it.

Graciously,
Pastor Fred

No comments:

Post a Comment