Wednesday, March 4, 2015

"Taking Hold"

"Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already been made perfect, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me." Philippians 3:12b

I have been a believer in the catchy little phrase that says…"Let go and let God.” I am sure almost all of us struggle with control issues. We spend a fair amount of time, energy, and emotions either trying to get control or give up control.

Paul understands that his primary goal ought to be fulfilling what God’s purpose is for him, rather than being self-fulfilled. Think about it. If you break down the term self-fulfilled, it ends up being “full of self”. If my expectations are to surrender to the Lord’s will, I am more likely to reach my goal than if my expectation is to be all that I can be. Actually, if I surrender to the Lord’s will I will come much closer to becoming what He wants me to become than if I try to change in my own strength. Jesus is not focused on how I am or how I am doing. He is focused on what I can become. He really, truly is why and what transforms me. Like this verse says, though my goal (what I am pressing on to do) is to take hold or grasp what He has for me. Too often, I bring Him my offerings of effort, when what He wants is for me to bring myself to Him, surrendered, so He can do through me, His will, His way, for Him, in His time. I should spend more time being willing than spending time doing, hoping, if it is what He wills.

Instead of trying to get a grip on everything, I should grab onto Him and let Him place my hands, guide my works, and accomplish His purposes. If I take hold of Him, He will get a hold on what He wants me to do. So, I press on to get a better grip by “letting go and letting God.”

In Him,
Pastor Fred

No comments:

Post a Comment