Tuesday, March 24, 2015

"MY TRUST"

“Now it is required that those who have been given a trust must prove faithful.” 1 Corinthians 4:2

In order to fully and best understand most of the Bible it should be read in context. This verse for example was quoted in a book about financial stewardship that was given to me recently, entitled “Faithful with Much.” Of course the first hurdle for me was to wrap my mind around the concept that I had much to start with. After I put myself in context with the world and many Americans, I then wanted to make sure the author was applying the verse correctly. After all it is convicting to think that I should be faithful with all that has been entrusted to me; all my resources of time, talent, and treasure. Well, I read the first few verses of 1 Corinthians 4 and it seemed like it was basically talking about being entrusted with the mysteries of Christ. Then, it led to Paul explaining about motives and how we aren’t innocent. O.K. How is that about money? Then, it goes on to say that believers should not compare Paul and Apollos, and how they are partners and are suffering together. Then, Paul shifts to talking about how the apostles are living poor and without, while many Corinthians have more than plenty and are rich. Then, it talks about arrogance and not trying to guilt trip, but to appeal as a spiritual father to the Corinthians that have power not only to talk, but to act because Timothy was on his way. Paul says he himself will come to them too, Lord willing. So, they will have to account for their actions. Then it hit me. Be faithful with whatever you have been given. Everybody has something.

So let’s help each other; whether in teaching, or supplying needs, in hospitality or prayers. Everybody is part of all of it and we need to put our time, talent and treasure where our mouth should be, advancing the Kingdom of God and His gospel. Be faithful with what has been entrusted to you. God requires it. So apply the verse in its whole context. We are almost overly cautious when appealing for resources. We shouldn’t be. Give of all you have as you should. Any questions? Ask God to speak to your heart. He has to mine today.

In His service,
Pastor Fred

No comments:

Post a Comment