Thursday, March 26, 2015

"OF PIGS AND DOGS"

"Of them the proverbs are true: "A dog returns to its vomit," and, "A sow that is washed goes back to her wallowing in the mud." 2 Peter 2:22

Graphic words. Repulsive pictures. Serious illustrations. Peter is speaking of the fate of False Prophets, but the principle of Proverbs applies to us all. Our human tendency is to repeat sin. We forget and conveniently do not remember who we are in Christ. I have a conscience about my propensity for depravity. I can be mean, deceptive, inappropriate, and rebellious. Get over yourself, so can you??? We have an old sin nature. We are still weak and stumble, and sometimes fall. Be we all sin, and fall short of the glory of God. It sure makes me more self-conscious when I think of my sin as vomit and me returning to it. Dogs do this as an innate behavior. People do it by choice. Pigs wallow as a part of who they are by design. We wallow because we like it in spite of who we are in Christ. I think this is hard to swallow. No pun intended!!!

What is it about us that we can, like Peter, like Adam and Eve, and like Paul act like we shouldn’t and don’t act like we should? No wonder we need grace. You don’t have to be a false prophet to be weak, deluded or selfish. Return to the Lord, bask in His grace and mercy. We are not pigs or dogs.

In Him,
Pastor Fred

No comments:

Post a Comment