Monday, April 20, 2015

"Bad Company"

"Woe to them! They have taken the way of Cain; they have rushed for profit into Balaam's error; they have been destroyed in Korah's rebellion." Jude 1:11

These are three guys you don’t want to be compared to under any circumstances. Jude is giving examples of those who brought woe upon themselves with their choices. Each of them were self-corrupted, deluded by their own desires, lead astray by their own base nature. Each of them just gave in to their worst selves without much, if any resistance. We know about this human weakness from personal experience. I know I do. I can unthinkingly, speak. Uncaringly, react. Unnecessarily, get involved. Let’s quickly review each culprit’s errors in judgment:

Cain not only killed his brother, but rejected God’s command about sacrifices. Extremely self-willed.

Balaam plotted against Israel for his own personal gain and encouraged sensuality and sin. Very selfish and wanton.

Korah led a rebellion against God’s appointed authority, Moses. Foolish and insubordinate.

I see the root of some of my weakness, how about you? Selfishness, arrogance, pride, flippancy, corruptibility, jealousy, and pigheadedness. Need I go on? Not really. Not only should I resist these temptations, but I also should avoid those who don’t; lest I fall in the same traps. I can cause enough of my own trouble; I don’t need bad company to bring out the worst in me.

Humbly,
Pastor Fred

No comments:

Post a Comment