Wednesday, April 15, 2015

“They Gave Themselves Up”

“In a similar way, Sodom and Gomorrah and the surrounding towns gave themselves up to sexual immorality and perversion.” Jude 1:7

The similar way Jude refers to is the way 1/3 of the angels followed Satan in his rebellion and were cast out of heaven. In a similar way, meaning with the same reckless abandon or mindless surrender, without thinking or resisting they didn’t even try to do the right things. All sin, whether the obviously egregious perverted kind, or the irresponsible, carless incidental kind, is all done by choice. This verse reminds me of my own ability to “give up” when combating sin. To just quit trying. To not try or to not resist. To just let it happen like I can’t stop it. I am going to confess here with an allegory that is easy to understand. I went to the donut shop. You know, just to get something to drink. (Like there is nowhere else to just get something to drink.) Well, when I was leaving I was shocked to discover that somehow I managed to walk out with a cinnamon roll and a maple bar. How did that happen? That was not my original plan. Did someone hold a gun to my head and force me to buy that cinnamon roll……and totally unnecessary maple bar? Did I black out and temporarily lose my mind? Did the clerk use some clever sales technique on me and trick me into a donut purchase? Nope, I did it. I chose to buy not one unnecessary donut, but two. I gave up as soon as she said the magic words I was waiting for. Remember them well, because I use the drive-thru, and the same girl asks every time, “What can I get for you?” Such manipulation. So I said “O.K. O.K. no pressure please, I’ll have a cinnamon roll and a maple bar, oh yeah and a large unsweetened tea.” I gave up, before I resisted. I put myself in a compromising position and compromised. No one but me to blame. In a similar way, I gave myself up to the simplest of temptations. Like I didn’t have a choice. Like David headed next door to Bathsheba. Like Adam and Eve sharing a piece of fruit. I just did it. Whatever your sin, and please do not think I am anti-donut, they are wonderful when within limits and in appropriate moderation. But on this day I succumbed to temptation. But I tell you a humorous story to touch your conscience. Ask yourself, how often do you give yourself up without any resistance and little conscience? Hope I remember this devotional next time I just need to get something to drink.

Honestly,
Pastor Fred

No comments:

Post a Comment