Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Deliverance and Destruction

“Though you already know all this, I want to remind you that the Lord delivered His people out of Egypt, but later destroyed those who did not believe.” Jude 1:5

Jude is referring to the oral tradition of early believers, especially Jews who are following the Christ knowing their own history of deliverance. This verse spoke to me today because though I need to contend for the faith, God does not need me to bring His justice down. He will do that. He not only delivers His people and leads His people; He protects His people and defends His people. He in effect, has our back. That does not mean there will not be persecution. It doesn’t mean we should shrink from our responsibility to stand up for justice and righteousness. But, it does mean we are not vengeful, retributive or retaliatory. “Vengeance is mine, says the Lord.” Like the verse says. We are reminded that God delivered His people by using Moses to part the Red Sea and giving them safety to escape Egypt. Then He drowned Pharaoh and his army by allowing the waters to return. This is a picture of how He makes a way for us, but only if we follow Him. I need to be reminded that He protects me, so I need not lash out or attack the world. When I contend for the faith I must do so faithfully. He will bring justice in every circumstance and in the final analysis. So I trust Him, contend for my faith and let Him take care of the rest.

In Him,
Pastor Fred

No comments:

Post a Comment