Thursday, April 16, 2015

Devotion by Pastor Fred Snider

“Concerning the prophets: My heart is broken within me; all my bones tremble. I am like a drunken man, like a man overcome by wine, because of the LORD and his holy words.” Jeremiah 23:9

I am feeling this with Jeremiah today. As I read these chapters from Jeremiah, I am staggered with awe for the conviction of His Word. The Lord’s prophecy through Jeremiah to a disobedient people and their leaders is almost too much to take. I read sections of the major and minor prophets in light of our fallen-ness, and I am ashamed of our individual and corporate behavior. When Jeremiah shares about the wrongdoing of shepherds, prophets and priest, I shudder at his warnings regarding preaching that is shallow or corruption in the spiritual leadership. I am overwhelmed with grief and I am heartbroken by the things that Jeremiah speaks of with his indicting word about dishonest gain, shedding of innocent blood, oppression, and extortion, injustice and greed. Comparisons to Sodom and Gomorrah; illustrations of adultery, evil doing, duplicity, and stubbornness, appeasement, and toleration of sin. God have mercy on us! Thank Jesus for grace. No wonder we have the trouble we do. Lord, draw us close to You, help us oh God to be accountable and to desire You more than the things and ways of this world.

I can’t read anymore today.

Mercy, mercy,
Pastor Fred

No comments:

Post a Comment