Wednesday, April 29, 2015

“God’s Sovereignty” by: Pastor Fred Snider

“Moses said, ‘Please show me your glory.’ Then He said, ‘I will make all my goodness pass before you, and I will proclaim the name of the Lord before you. I will be gracious to whom I will be gracious, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion.’” Exodus 33:18-19

In Romans 9:15 Paul uses this experience of Moses with God to illustrate God’s sovereignty. We understand that God does whatever glorifies Him. Paul is trying to explain the clearer meaning of God hating Esau and how could God do that if He knows everything. In my study notes the following explanation really gave me some insight. This is John MacArthur’s note. In response to the accusation that God’s sovereign election is inconsistent with his attributes of fairness, justness and mercy, Paul cites Exodus which clearly indicates that God is absolutely sovereign and does elect who will be saved without violating His other attributes. He determines justly and fairly who will receive grace and mercy and that is definitely fair because of the fact He is perfect. Even faith is a gift from God, and we have free will without exception. God’s omniscience does not trump our free will. We must accept that He knows without ever being capricious or unfair. He is holy. He is Sovereign. He is God Almighty. He is full of glory and all His attributes are good.” So experience His goodness today and thank Him for it.

Thank goodness,
Pastor Fred

No comments:

Post a Comment