Thursday, September 6, 2012

Good Repetition

"O Lord, our Lord, how majestic is Your name in all the earth!" Psalms 8:1a

Much of the early contemporary praise and worship music was very repetitious. Sometimes just one or two Bible verses sung repeatedly often sung in a round. One of the criticisms of this music was its simplicity as compared to the great hymns. Yet, I must confess, in my young developing faith, this style both got me in touch with who I was singing to and caused me to memorize more scripture than any other mode of teaching I had thus far in my life at the time. Whether it was the one word song, “Alleluia” or the never ending choruses of, “Father, I adore You”, I learned the Word of God and how to connect with God, the object of my praise when I was worshipping.

This verse reminds me of a song that was part of a musical our Youth Group presented. I sang with my heart and fervency and with liberty, loud and clear, often harmonizing and totally focused on Him. There is value in all music that glorifies God, for its only purpose is to worship Him. Since reading Psalms 8, the song with this verse won’t leave my head. I’m enjoying the memories this tune evokes and when I consider His majesty, I am instantly reminded of my need for His grace. We are so blessed to be able to see Him in nature, in the heavens, in living things, and in human beings. We indeed are blessed beyond measure and should more often consider His majesty.

How majestic is He, His name and His creation.
In awe,
Pastor Fred

No comments:

Post a Comment