Wednesday, September 19, 2012

The Hiding Place

"You are my hiding place." Psalm 32:7a

The short phrase Hiding Place evokes a number of thoughts and memories. My first recollection of hearing these words takes me back to summer camp as a youth. A pastor shared in a message the testimony of Corrie Ten Boom, who was a Dutch Holocaust Survivor, who was arrested because she hid Jews in a special Hiding Place in her room. She was responsible for the safety of scores of Jews and when she was released from prison due to a clerical error, she later learned that she was to be executed the following week. To her that Hiding Place was where God provided for the safety of the innocent and persecuted. Such faith and faithfulness has made her testimony one of the most compelling ever. She once said, God doesn’t have problems, only plans. That brings to mind my other thought about Hiding Place, the worship song which says, You are my Hiding Place. You always fill my heart, with songs of deliverance, whenever I am afraid, I will trust in You, I will trust in you, let the weak say I am strong in the strength of my Lord.

These words still bring great comfort to me and I am all at once back in the safest place in the world, that Hiding Place that is in Him. That place where I go to be OK, and when I get strength and faith, and love and hope anytime, night or day. He is my Hiding Place and He is there, He protects me, and there He gives me songs that remind me of how He will always be there for me, for those I love and you, and for all who turn to Him and seek Him.

I hope you have such a place… a place where the Lord can keep you safe and secure. He invites us all to come to that Hiding Place. No persecution, or Holocaust, or fear can get to you there. I have been spending some time there lately. I love it, I need it. I recommend it.

Sometimes when you see me with a song, you can tell I have been there recently or if I seem especially resolved or at peace. What a comfort to know it is always there and the door is always open.

His
Pastor Fred

No comments:

Post a Comment